Ram upgrade actually weakened my PC

audacity10

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I've just doubled my memory from 4gb to 8gb ram today. My computer recognizes it, but unusually, my system performance score (Vista 64) dropped from 5.5 to 5.4 for the ram.

The computer runs the same as it did before with no evident improvement. It may be a case of not seeing the wood for the trees, but I've seen nothing on the net to help me with this problem.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

The Vista score dropped because when you run 2 DIMMS per channel, it tends to slow down the RAM slightly. It shouldn't be noticeable though. As for no noticeable increase? That will depend on what you are doing. If you aren't doing anything that would need more than 4GB, then no, the increase wouldn't make much difference. In other cases, it could make a huge difference. It just depends.

audacity10

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Thanks for the replies - I guess the best way I gauged the difference was when I ran Crysis before and after. I thought doubling my memory would make a significant power improvement but there seems to be none with programs like 3dsmax, photoshop, zbrush etc. As previously stated, it was when the Vista system score dropped that made me concerned.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

I do neither of those and I really appreciate my 8GB running Vista x64. Because you can leave it on for 2 weeks straight and at the end it's idling at 3.5GB of usage....but it still runs normally without any issues or slowing down.

Gedoe_

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
or did u upgrade with slower ram?

anyhow, id still take the 8g over 4g any time, even if your little benchie goes down 0.1 point.

This thread is based on Vista's "Windows Experience Index" score?

WEI is nice as a guideline, and I like that it looks at the overall performance of entire subsections instead of the raw speed of individual components.... But it's hardly an accurate benchmark. IMHO, the OP shouldn't worry about it.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Ignore the windows score index, its worthless.

Run 3dmark (or some memory test like the one in Sandra), to monitor the performance difference between 4 and 8. Which I suspect will be none.

audacity10

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Cheers guys, I suspected Windows Experience Index score wasn't very reliable. I'll check out 3dmark to get a better idea of where I stand. Thanks again.