Sign in with
Your question

1.5tb crash - Retrieval

Last response: in Storage
July 23, 2010 6:14:54 AM

Hi,

My 1.5tb Seagate hardisk suddenly stop showing the 1.3tb datas inside. It happend like this. My 1.5TB sata harddisk was connected to my MacBookPro through an USB external casing. Suddenly accessing of HDD became slower and slower. So, i ejected it and tried starting the external casing Power again. Again it was slower. So i switched it off for a while and again turned on.

The harddisk got detected normally, but shockingly, none of the files of 1.3TB were seen. It was completely blank. I even tried to create a folder on the blank space, but it cant be done.

I took the Sata hdd to a authorized recovery center (Steller). They said it is a physical damage and so they will charge Rs.40,000 and still recovery of data is not 100% sure. I took it to another center, there they connected my HDD to a computer and run some software and they were able to see the datas that i had deleted (sitting on the Recycle bin cache). But nothing much.

So, now can anyone of you guys suggest me some options, were-in i can myself try it. I have a Workstation Desktop PC and a laptop and am somewhat familiar with hardware repairing. With this, can i try recovering.

I appreciate your time.

-Anush

More about : 5tb crash retrieval

a b G Storage
July 23, 2010 8:10:56 AM

Typical Seagate issue!!! Your not the first. Is it a 7200.11 drive?

Try Recuva, if it helps.
a c 85 G Storage
July 23, 2010 4:07:51 PM

There are not many options since you already got some professionals to check on it. Pretty much anything you try to do will more than likely make things worse if you want to try a recovery. Although the recovery company *may* have exagerated the issue to make a sale, the fact that another tech also could not see the data makes that unlikely. Once you have a drive issue, the more time spent messing around with it unprofessionaly, the lesser any recovery chances are.

It's not a happy thing for people who loose years of data, but data recovery services done right are pretty expensive.
Related resources
July 24, 2010 6:29:23 AM

hell_storm200 - i tried Recuva, but it doesnt seem to be of help. The error says "The request couldn't by completed because of an I/O error. Can you suggest me any other software.

hang-the-9 - i wanted to try out all the options from the 'software side' for retrieving data. On the 'hardware side', the professionals will be opening the hardisk physically, which i definitely can't do. When had given my hdd for retrieval, they said that the Bad sectors were on the starting index of the hdd, so the retrieval couldnt proceed. I know that everytime i try retrieving, am actually causing the damage higher. But the cost these people charge are way too much which i cant afford. So, can you suggest me any other software
a b G Storage
July 26, 2010 7:23:02 AM

Well Recuva is probably the best freeware for data recovery. Do a google on the paid ones. Check the reviews of the softwares. I once had this problem with my Seagate HDD. But it was only a 40GB drive containing junk. I downloaded what was important in that drive. Rest, i just forgot about it as a major clean up mission! But the thing is, after you have bought the software and you find out they don't work.... MONEY WASTED!!!
August 9, 2010 6:53:05 AM

hey guys, i tired R-Studio, Easy recovery professional and Recuva. Nothing helped. Finally i had given my hardidsk for warranty replacement. Anyway i thank all you guys for taking time for answering this thread.
a b G Storage
August 9, 2010 6:59:24 AM

Sad to hear the loss of your data. At least you would get a new HDD. Stay away from Seagate. And preferably get smaller drives. The loss wont hurt that much!
August 19, 2010 6:26:12 AM

Note to Tom's hardware: I couldn't able to get the answers i was looking for. So you can close this thread.

Thank you guys for taking the time for answering.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 17, 2010 10:56:33 AM

@Anush. Sorry to hear the bad news. If your Seagate hard drive is physically damaged like what Stellar said, then no data recovery tools can help. So I am afraid Neither Recuva nor PC File Inspector would help. The only way is to take it for special data recovery services. I'll recommend you to take the drive to DiskDoctor or some other data recovery companies for more consultant. May you good luck.
!