Cooling a i7 930/ w gtx 460

dlthomas

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I'm making a new build at the moment and am at the stage where I need to figure out what cooling I need. If I can, I'd like to overclock my cpu.. not so bothered about the graphics card but possibly that too. I just wanted to know how much it would effect the system temperature and if it would make it significantly hotter. I can't afford to water cool the system so won't overclock if it is too hot for fans etc.

This is my planned build:
Have you got any suggestions on good ways to cool it?
Are there any particular products you'd recommend?

CPU
-Intel Core i7 930 (I'd like to overclock this to 4ghz or there abouts if poss)

Motherboard
-Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58

Graphics Card:
-PALIT GTX 460 SONIC 1024MB

Power Supply:
-Corsair 650W TX Series PSU

RAM:
-Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz

Hard Drive:
-Western Digital 1TB

CD/ DVD:
-Samsung SH-S223 22X

Case:
Antec 300 Case

needsumhelplol

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

dlthomas

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Great thank you - I managed to find your first suggestion on amazon for £48
Is it worth getting thermal paste and thermal remover to go with it? If I add them too it will be £59

hmmm I've been thinking and maybe my case isn't big enough for these cooling things.. plus I found out that the 300 case doesn't have air filters - is that a big deal?

I did a bit of looking around and the Lancool K62 seems like a good alternative. The only thing that gets on my nerves a bit is that all of these more recent cases don't have firewire on the front (I know the 300 didn't, but these are more expensive).. the antec 900 does have them, but it hasn't got air filters so was a bit worried.

Anybody got any insight into this? All of the cases have eSata ports.... are they some kind of replacement for firewire?

dlthomas

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
ah.. never mind about the eSata thing. I found out that its slowly taking over firewire. Still pretty damn annoying though - my video camera is dv only so I'll have to connect it at the back... I expect a lot of others will have the same troubles

anyway back to the topic at hand.. does anybody use or know about Lancool k62? Easy to take apart and looks like it has more room than the antec 300. Vlogers that I have been watching review cases have been saying air filters are important... do you think they are?

also.. if i overclock the cpu.. should I still be okay with the power that 'Corsair 650W TX Series' supplies?