Sign in with
Your question

CPU overheating - up to 115C

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 18, 2009 2:47:18 PM

I'm running a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ on an NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI and I've recently started getting some serious overheating problems. Up to 115C serious.

I have used several monitoring programs and they each show 2 sets of temperatures for my CPU. One is running just a tad warm at around 52C, but the other (either labeled as "remote temp" or under "thermal diode") quickly shoots up to 100C and over within a few minutes. Sometimes it will edge up to around 115C, at which point my PC shuts off.

(I have also noticed that both programs show my +12V voltage to be low, in the neighborhood of 8.7V, but I don't know if this is related or even a problem... I've never messed with voltage settings before)

I keep plenty of airflow though my case and all fans are working properly, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

First thing I tried was cleaning all the dust out, but that didn't help. The thermal compound on my CPU heatsink was looking a bit old and gunky, so I replaced that, which brought the first CPU temperature reading down a few degrees (from idling at upper 50s to lower 50s now), but it didn't seem to help the "remote temp" or "thermal diode" readings. Any idea what the difference between these and the CPU/processor temperatures are?

Any suggestions as to what else I can try or what could be the cause?

More about : cpu overheating 115c

April 28, 2009 4:32:38 AM

The difference is that the CPU temps are the sensors inside the CPU snd the Thermal Diode or Remote Temp is reading on the outside of the CPU. The remote temp should usually be a little cooler than the inner sensor. The voltage drop sounds like a power supply problem. I would try putting another power supply in and try it. Sounds like it is fluctuating the voltages too much. What is the voltage on your Processor show?
April 28, 2009 6:15:28 AM

The CPU voltage is reading ~1.27V currently. The "+12V Voltage" readings don't fluctuate, they're still staying at 8.7V.

Could the low voltage have something to do with the high remote temps?
Related resources
April 28, 2009 9:05:04 AM

No. I mean, I am no certified expert, but I do know thta less voltage means less clock which means less heat. Make sure to update your BIOS as well. I found a thread that may help. Read all of this and see if it can solve you problem. If not, post back and I will keep doing a little more research. this has got my mind boggled.
Try this thread: http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/archive/index.php/t-90517.h...
April 28, 2009 9:30:00 AM

Thanks for the linked info, I'm now turning my attention to my power supply, as that is something I hadn't investigated previously. My current PSU was a replacement that I bought last fall on very short notice at a local parts store (after the previous one piffed), so it is the only part of my system that I didn't research the make/model for quality.

I'll try reducing the power usage, playing with the BIOS voltage settings, and try borrowing a different PSU (if I can get my hands on one) and see if this may be the culprit.

Thanks for the leads, I hope this is it, as I was getting pretty stumped.
!