Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

RAID 1

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 23, 2010 9:41:19 AM

Recently, I bought a 1TB HDD for upgrading my system and i still got a 320GB HDD,
Now I want to build a RAID 1 system
But the question is
1. Can i create a partition on 1Tb HDD same with the 320GB HDD and build the RAID?
2. The another partition's data can be kept if i build the raid.

I'd found for these information for many days but can't get a good answer.

More about : raid

a b G Storage
July 23, 2010 12:37:19 PM

I think you can do that with Windows software raid. Not sure about hardware raid/motherboard raid (may depend on your controller) - but I would guess that you would lose the extra space. Maybe post up what motherboard / method you are considering.
July 23, 2010 1:00:46 PM

Honestly there would be no point. It is not impossible but that's about it.

Many of the 320gb drives have a better access time than the 1tb drive, by a second one off ebay (ideally the exact same) and put it in RAID 0 and use the 1tb as backup/archive/storage. If you notice not increase in performance (such as boot up speed) go and put it in raid 1 for your important data.
Related resources
July 23, 2010 1:43:12 PM

gtvr said:
I think you can do that with Windows software raid. Not sure about hardware raid/motherboard raid (may depend on your controller) - but I would guess that you would lose the extra space. Maybe post up what motherboard / method you are considering.


My board is ASUS M4N78 plus
i'd tried the software raid
but it is not success like this


the "new mirrored volume" turned gray and unable to click

July 23, 2010 1:46:41 PM

dobby said:
Honestly there would be no point. It is not impossible but that's about it.

Many of the 320gb drives have a better access time than the 1tb drive, by a second one off ebay (ideally the exact same) and put it in RAID 0 and use the 1tb as backup/archive/storage. If you notice not increase in performance (such as boot up speed) go and put it in raid 1 for your important data.


thanks for your reply.
As i just have two hdd only
so i want these two hdd increase the reading speed
For me raid0 is very high risk and so i consider the raid1.
July 24, 2010 10:13:36 AM

If your are after a level of 'file security' provided by RAID 1 then you would be better of setting windows to back up (volume shadow copy) the 1tb drive to the 320, with the way windows compresses on backup you would probably fit more on than you might imagine.

I just think RAIDing a drive mismatch like that is more hassle than its worth.
a b G Storage
July 24, 2010 1:36:57 PM

jiangiang said:

the "new mirrored volume" turned gray and unable to click



http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...

"You need at least two dynamic disks to create a mirrored volume. "

This page or similar pages (google search "How To Create a Mirrored Volume in Windows XP ") should help you out.
!