System:
XFX nForce 790i Ultra
QX9770
2x GTX 280 SLI
2x DDR3 1600 2GB underclocked to 1333
Vista Home Premium x64
PC power and cooling 1200w
4x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS in RAID 01

this is my first homebuilt system (although i have upgraded prebuilts before). This has been randomly repeating the same frame (screen freezes, audio repeats the same 1/40th of a second or so). it does this most often when i am playing Fallout 3 or Neverwinter Nights 2. it has only done this once during any of the half life 2 series, and that was before i put -32bit in HL2. every once in a while, it comes out of it, but the graphics cards get stuck in power saving mode. it happened less frequently after i underclocked the RAM and loosened the timings, so what i currently suspect is a bad memory stick. yesterday i downloaded Audiosurf off of steam and about 3/4ths of the time, it instantly freezes when i open it, and i have gotten a BSOD once from audiosurf. unfortunately, i did not have a pencil and paper with me, so i do not have the message from that. it has frozen during vista startup before. another thing is the first time i acessed the NVIDIA control panel that includes ESA stuff (forget what its called, and yes, i do have ESA stuff) it also had a BSOD. Any advice would be great, and if possible, I'd prefer not to have to RMA anything.

More about : 790i ultra build freezing

January 20, 2009 5:05:17 PM

Run memtest86 just google it and follow the instructions. Let it run for a few hours (3-4). This will let u know if you have a bad ram stick. Also update all your drivers.
January 20, 2009 11:37:07 PM

Just realized that i had it on too low of a voltage, was on 1.5, spec'd for 1.9. updated it, and launched audiosurf, immediate crash. running memtest now

Update: just took a look at memtest, it says the L2 cache is Unknown. could this be the problem?
January 21, 2009 2:17:32 PM

Ran Memtest overnight, passed ten times, 0 errors. either it only happens in very certain circumstances, or its my MB or CPU. any programs anyone knows to test the stability of either of those separately?
!