Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking at a Seagate 1TB SATA@7200 RPM...

Last response: in Storage
July 23, 2010 11:15:42 AM

1. Is a 1TB@7200RPM good enough to run high end games?
Basically, does the speed have an impact on the performance of the game?

2. Is it better to get an internal drive or even an external 1TB (USB2) will be able to run games smothly?
Will an external HDD perform slower as compared to an internal HDD?
a b G Storage
July 23, 2010 12:40:32 PM

1) probably yes. Most games, the CPU and video card have much more impact. If you have a game with a lot of data to load, maybe that could be an issue for load times, but not framerates, etc.

2) Internal is much faster than USB2.
m
l
July 26, 2010 2:32:22 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the response. I thought as much about 2)
So is it better to get one with a higher rpm? If so, what speed?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 26, 2010 2:41:16 PM

7200RPM is just fine. But change it to WD Black. Better performing and reliable in more ways than one.
m
l
July 27, 2010 8:37:21 AM

Thanks for that....so you're saying that Western Digital is better than Seagate? What about Samsung? Then there's this other one by the name of "iOmega". That any good?
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
July 27, 2010 9:12:11 AM

The only thing bugging Seagate nowadays is its reliability issues. Especially after the 7200.11 firmware issue that crept up. I don't trust Seagate with my data. Otherwise Seagate drives perform really well. Hitachi is better than Samsung. WD has no comparison. Of course with HDD there's always a chance of bad luck. But with WD its quite reduced.
July 27, 2010 5:06:27 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
The only thing bugging Seagate nowadays is its reliability issues. Especially after the 7200.11 firmware issue that crept up. I don't trust Seagate with my data. Otherwise Seagate drives perform really well. Hitachi is better than Samsung. WD has no comparison. Of course with HDD there's always a chance of bad luck. But with WD its quite reduced.

I agree. WD all the way.
If you must use seagate make sure it wasn't one of the "bad" batches.
m
l
July 28, 2010 8:44:53 AM

Thanks for all the advise. Got my answers. Though WD seems to be the preferred choice, I think i'm gonna stick with seagate (as its more common where I live). But will make sure the drive doesn't have the firmware issue.
m
l
July 28, 2010 8:45:31 AM

Best answer selected by namelessonez.
m
l
!