jaywarren

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I just got a graphics card from best buy for sons new dell. The 1st I got I had to return because the dell dose not have the 4pin power cords.

I got a Visiontek radeon hd 4650 512mb for $90 at best buy because you dont need to run power to it. But I see the newegg has a 4670 1gb card for $10 more then best buy.

But on newegg the only cons card has is it is 128-bit. 1st question what is bit? 2nd the card I have now, (hd 4650) how many bit is it? cant find anything on box. Should I take back this card and get newegg for $10 more? thanks

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
bit is the amount of data that can pass through each cycle, 128 bits is also 16 bytes.

so on a 1ghz memory unit, 16 gigabytes can go in and out each second.

and I think the 4650 is still 128 bit.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

this.

1GB of memory will do nothing for a weak/low end GPU that cant even push enough power to use said memory. Its only worthwhile on the big game cards.

G

The bit question refers to how many lanes of communication there are during the communication process. In your case there are 128 lanes, each passing 1 bit per clock. The more lanes, the more affective and efficient the communication is between components. This is extremely important for video cards, as they must pass enormous amounts of data to create all the smooth and pretty stuff on your computer screen when playing games and/or performing any other graphics intensive tasks. GPUs are actually more powerful than CPUs in many ways. They multi-task much more than CPUs.

The $10 Newegg question is pretty much what it looks like - a deal. Go for it.