Help needed OCing a i7 980x

RobBosman

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Hey guys,

how's everyone doing?

I'd completed my first (fully) self build pc some months ago and would like to overclock it a bit.
Currently got an i7 980X running at clock speed.
My specs are:
i7 980X
HD Radeon 5970 OC
24GB DDR3 Ram (huge overkill I know....)
Be Quiet! 1200W power supply
Cooler Master V10 CPU (and memory) cooler
1 SSD for my OS
1 SSD for new games
1 HD for movies, music, old games and stuff like that
LG Blue ray rewriter
DVD rewriter
all that mounted on to a eVGA x58 4Way SLI Classified motherboard (planning to add more stuff to it later) in a Lian Li PC-P80 Armorsuit pc case.

Tried to overclock it by just changing the multiplier, but that way I could only get it up a little before it became instable.
Could anyone give me some easy guidelines? Thanks in advance!

Rob

Scanlia

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Core i7 980x should be able to go to 4.5Ghz easliy, try 4.0GHz then 4.5GHz, if it fails you computer will bluescreen or reboot or something unusual. Pushing the voltage of the core helps with the stability as it make more heat, so more resistance in the core.

RobBosman

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Somehow I didn't get an email notification about getting a response.
But I guess I should try what Scanlia said by just changing the multiplier?
And should I turn off the Turboboost when I do this?

Thanks in advance.

Scanlia

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I would turn off turbo-boost, because all it does is downclocks from your overclock when your not using much CPU, then overclocks it back to what you chose when you use you CPU again. I also think it can only work to a certain amount of GHz. But i turned it off, just to be safe.

If all is good and you've booted up after your overclock, run a stability test using prime95 or just google some software. Let it run for 10mins or so, (more if you want). If it bluescreens or something weird happens, just push the voltage up a bit more or put the GHz down a bit. Hope this helps, and good luck!