Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem Restoring a backup

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
June 26, 2011 11:31:32 AM

I have a huge problem and I am hoping that someone here can help me. I recently did a backup using Nero Backitup. I backed up 2 of my HDD's onto an external HDD and when on to format all my HDD's in order to start a fresh system with a few hardware mods. I tried to restore the back up and it now gives me the following error message ; " some of the folders/files cannot be restored because they will have long folder/file paths on the target location. on xp " . When I click OK, it then says ; " The file'20111406_136146_Paul14-06-2011.nbi' is not available in the backup folder. Please select the parent of your backup folder. " . When I select one or create a new one, it repeats the message giving me the exact same options. I am stressing here as I have more than 6 years of pictures, music, family videos and other sentimental items that I can never get back. I would appreciate any assistance given.
June 26, 2011 4:23:06 PM

can you access the backed up data? chances are it's exactly what it's telling you, the file names are too long. so if you can access the restore section find the files it has in question and make sure they aren't too long.
June 26, 2011 5:09:15 PM

Hey AntiZig. Thanks for the reply. Yes I can access the info if I use Nero restore, but I have to open each file individually. I have a few million files so that is not on. I am not sure how to access the file names in question here. It seems to be questioning all the files. I don't mind losing most programs and games etc. but I can't loose my personal stuff. Can you elaborate a bit more on what you suspect is the problem and maybe help me find a solution.
Related resources
June 26, 2011 5:11:11 PM

:pt1cable:  Thanks in advance.
AntiZig said:
can you access the backed up data? chances are it's exactly what it's telling you, the file names are too long. so if you can access the restore section find the files it has in question and make sure they aren't too long.

June 26, 2011 6:39:11 PM

If the files are That important, you should not write anything more to the drive(s) that held those files in the first place.

What are the files worth to you? Worth getting yet another hard drive and install Windows in it so you can run Recuva on the original drives to attempt a recovery? Hard drives have become inexpensive, so consider it.

If you do this, the original drives can be added to the system as extra data drives and Recuva may reclaim most or all the files and copy them out to the new system drive you installed Windows on.

You can keep messing with Nero and who knows, maybe there is a way to make it work, but the original files may get over-written in the process of unsuccessful restore operations and they are indeed gone.

I would go the safe route at this point in time and then knock myself out trying to get the true backup to work later. The point is to salvage the files, not make Nero behave.

To get Recuva, click
HERE.        <--------- Free
June 26, 2011 6:51:30 PM

tigsounds said:
If the files are That important, you should not write anything more to the drive(s) that held those files in the first place.

What are the files worth to you? Worth getting yet another hard drive and install Windows in it so you can run Recuva on the original drives to attempt a recovery? Hard drives have become inexpensive, so consider it.

If you do this, the original drives can be added to the system as extra data drives and Recuva may reclaim most or all the files and copy them out to the new system drive you installed Windows on.

You can keep messing with Nero and who knows, maybe there is a way to make it work, but the original files may get over-written in the process of unsuccessful restore operations and they are indeed gone.

I would go the safe route at this point in time and then knock myself out trying to get the true backup to work later. The point is to salvage the files, not make Nero behave.

To get Recuva, click
HERE.



Thanks but I have already formatted the drives that the files where on. Now you understand why it is so important that I do the recovery of the backup.
June 26, 2011 7:15:31 PM

D@rkAng3LS said:
Thanks but I have already formatted the drives that the files where on. Now you understand why it is so important that I do the recovery of the backup.



You need to understand that Recuva can recover files on a re-formatted drive as long as they don't get over-written by new data after the format.

For more information, click
HERE
June 26, 2011 7:33:16 PM

Ok. I didn't know that. I will give it a try. Thanks for the info.
!