Not all memory showing up = dead board?

So the parts for my i7 refit came in yesterday... i7 920 (packaged in May... ought to be a D0, yes?), open box P6T6 WS Revolution, 12GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 RAM, and another 300GB VelociRaptor to run with my current one in RAID 0. In any case, I get everything installed, load up Win7 RC... only 8GB of RAM is being recognized. Alright. So I pull out the sticks in slots 1 and 2. Okay, 4GB showing now. Put sticks in 1 and 2 back in. Pull out the sticks in slots 3 and 4... uh oh, still 8GB showing. Leave slots 1 and 2 empty, put the sticks from those slots into 3 and 4. 4GB. Looks like my middle RAM channel is dead.

That's 1 open box MoBo DOA for me. Ahh well, the risks we take. I'm gonna RMA it for a refund and grab a MSi Eclipse Plus in the meantime. Such a sexy board. Too bad though, the P6T6 is soooo nice.
5 answers Last reply
More about memory showing dead board
  1. From your words it sounds like you are using both odd and even slots. Check that you are using the correct slots for memory - seems it should be slots 1,3,5.
  2. Twoboxer said:
    From your words it sounds like you are using both odd and even slots. Check that you are using the correct slots for memory - seems it should be slots 1,3,5.

Wha'? Read the post again... I've got 12GB of RAM, thus I'm using all the slots.
  3. Regardless of what slot you used (which is getting triple-channel to function), you should still see the 12GB.
    Sounds like one of the channel is not getting power from the VRM for DIMMs as I have never heard of selective non-functioning channel on an i7 processor before.
  4. BIOS only reads 8GB as well.
  5. EQPlayer said:
    So the parts for my i7 refit came in yesterday... i7 920 (packaged in May... ought to be a D0, yes?), open box P6T6 WS Revolution, 12GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 RAM, and another 300GB VelociRaptor to run with my current one in RAID 0. In any case, I get everything installed, load up Win7 RC... only 8GB of RAM is being recognized. Alright. So I pull out the sticks in slots 1 and 2. Okay, 4GB showing now. Put sticks in 1 and 2 back in. Pull out the sticks in slots 3 and 4... uh oh, still 8GB showing. Leave slots 1 and 2 empty, put the sticks from those slots into 3 and 4. 4GB. Looks like my middle RAM channel is dead.

That's 1 open box MoBo DOA for me. Ahh well, the risks we take. I'm gonna RMA it for a refund and grab a MSi Eclipse Plus in the meantime. Such a sexy board. Too bad though, the P6T6 is soooo nice.

Uh-huh. We were just talking about buying recertified, open/returns etc the other day in another thread. You take your chance, I learned my lesson years ago, it's just not worth it. No more for me.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Intel i7