GA-MA790XT-UD4P - what aftermarket fan to use?

XaeroT

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I just purchased the above motherboard and the tall Corsair TW3X4G1333C9DHX RAM. CPU is AMD Phenom 2 X2 550 BE.

At stock, everything is fine, the process is a little more toasty than expected, but its not hitting thermal max when abused (60C). The problem I have is when I unlock all 4 cores, or try to overclock (a lot), temps start getting to close to thermal max (70C). This board has very little room between the ram slots and the processor socket, on top of that, my ram is a mile high with its heat spreaders. Has anyone with a similar setup found a good aftermarket cooler that will work?

XaeroT

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
That does not say its compatable with AM3 (or AM2). Have the brackets not changed since the Athlon 64 processor? If thats correct, then any aftermarket fan thats compatable with Athlon 64 / FX / X2 / Opteron / Sempron / AM2 / AM2+ would work on the AM3 platform.

Edit: The XIGMATEK websiste says it will work with AM3. Also, it has 4 heatpipes, the 963 has 3 heat pipes. I may try this, unless someone else has a better one to try. I want to overclock my processor, and run all 4 cores.

zingfharn

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Replying late to this, but I tried a fans, and here's what works:
Gelid Silent Spirit: clears RAM, but not good for overclocking). If you're running normal, though, it'll do a really good, and incredibly quiet job.
Noctua U12P - won't clear RAM with a 120x120x25 fan on push. You could put the fan on pull, but performance would drop.
Vendetta Gladiator Max - clears RAM fine with fan.
I think the Thermalright 120 Extreme should clear it too.

I just ended using the Noctua (best cooling of the three I tried) and put 2 sticks in slots 3+4. I ran a few benches before and after, and there's no difference at all (despite the advice in the manual).
If you have 4 sticks, though, you might be in trouble.