Nvidia 280 GTX Problem in new system

staticxrjc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I finished building my computer yesterday, hit the power button and everything lights up. Of course, there is 1 problem and that is the Red LED on the NVidia 280GTX is on, according to the manual it means there is a power issue. This is my first system I have built, so it might be something really simple that I am not seeing.

The parts I selected were (going off memory):
ASUS P5Q Motherboard
ANTEC TruePower Trio 650W
EVGA 1GB NVidia 280 GTX+
4 GB Ram
Antec 900 Case
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz 8500

The power supply has a 6 PCIe connector and a (6+2) PCIe connector, which is what I was using to connect both lines to the GPU, red light was on. I ordered a 6 - 8 pin adapter from newegg to be sure that the power supply's (6+2) is just not faulty (waiting on that to arrive in the mail), I am getting ready to trade the PSU in for another stronger one (if the adapter doesn't work), but 650 W should be enough juice. I have read feedbacks that people were able to run this card with this PSU.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
What is the model PSU that you have?

Is the computer actually starting up? Or just all the fans and stuff come on but no vidoe signal?

staticxrjc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009

Antec TruePower Trio 650 <- PSU

The CPU fan goes on, case fans turn on, motherboard LED is on, everything looks fine except the red LED on the video card. There is no signal being sent from the card.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Ahh sorry, I didn't mean to make you have to repost your PSU. Thanks for doing it again.

Ya your PSU should be ok. Have you plugged in the 4/8 pin power connecter located by your cpu? Gets a lot of people.

Did you remember to plug in the 4/8-pin CPU power connector near the CPU socket? You didn't list the exact motherboard you have (there are a lot of "P5Q" models), but it will either be a 4-pin plug or an 8-pin plug with a cover over 4 pins.

Edit: Your post came in 34 seconds before mine. I didn't see it when I posted. :)

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
do you hear any posts beeps? Do you have a speaker installed to listen for post beeps? just trying to slim down the problems.

Take out your graphics card and try reseating it. Make sure it goes all the way in. It should click in.

staticxrjc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009

I'll do that when I get home

staticxrjc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Alright plugged speakers in, no beeps, everything seems to be working except the card though. Unplugged the GPU and plugged it back in and still a red LED.

staticxrjc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Just removed a stick of ram, leaving 1 in there and booted up, still a Red LED.

I am waiting on this adapter to come in the mail that (from what I have read) should solve my problem and see how this adapter works out, I will keep trying any suggestions though.

staticxrjc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I decided to put my old 1950 ATX video card in from my old box, just to eliminate faulty mobo, ram etc. It works with 1950 ATX I am installing windows.

The problem is either the GPU, PSU or the adapter. I will keep an update in case someone else has this problem.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
the gtx 280 requires 38amps on the 12 volt rails. If you want to be safe go with 40 but this isn't a requirment. That current psu has 3, 12v rails, each with an amperage of 19amps. It also has a ground 12v rail so make sure your not plugging into this one. Should be able to use the two 12v rails to get you to your 38amps.

staticxrjc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Here is an update, I have decided to buy a new PSU:

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

I beleive the Antec 650W isn't providing enough amps for the card, I trust enough in EVGA's QA that the problem is not the graphics card but the PSU, since they individually test each card.

Also from what I read of the Antec TP3 is that it has quite often fallen outside of the 5% acceptible error on the rails as far as voltage and amps go.

I should receive the PSU in a couple days I'll update on whether or not this works.