jhorton

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I have 2 24in LCD monitors and need to purchase a video card to support this and I do a lot of video editing. I dont need a video capture card. Which one is best for video editing, video watching and with 2 monitors? Thanks

To the best of my knowledge there isn't a single GPU that helps with the encoding processes. A decent one will help with decoding though. I've seend 9800gt on sale below the 100 dollar mark after rebates.

There are GPU encoding applications that use the GPU's shaders to do the computation. NVIDIA has a program called Badaboom that is a video encoder and runs on GeForce 8000 series and newer hardware. ATi had a program out there that was somewhat similar to Badaboom and it ran on Radeon x1800/1900 cards. I am not sure if they still have such a program. Either way, you'll need at least a midrange GPU to outdo a modern quad-core CPU for video encoding.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
If you are just doing video editing and watching video get a low range passively cooled card. Try to get one that will help accelerate high-def playback if you want to watch blu-rays. I know all ATI cards will do this above the 3450.

There is no need to spend anywhere close to $200 unless you want to do some gaming.

jhorton

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
That's the kind of info I need, and excuse the ignorance, but what is the difference between a GT, GS and a GTX card?

Performance and price. They are ordered from lowest to highest price and performance.

- GS = cut-down version of the standard model. Has fewer shaders and render backends, may be clocked lower and typically has less memory bit width.
- GT = the "standard" model card
- GTX = higher-clocked version of the standard model card
- Ultra = fastest and most expensive NVIDIA card currently available. You only see this as a suffix on NVIDIA's top model, unlike the other suffixes.