Sign in with
Your question

P5b bios cant find ide

Last response: in Motherboards
June 13, 2009 8:09:07 AM

i recently updated my p5b bios to the latest(2101), now it wont recognise my ide, & when it does as soon as i try to burn discs it stops seeing them. i only use my ide for optical my h/drives are sata. i've tried resetting cmos(jumpers),also taking battery out power lead off for all night, but when i check bios it says the same bios as before 2101.HELP

More about : p5b bios find ide

June 13, 2009 12:34:33 PM

Why did you update the bios in the first place ? If for no important reason, you can always revert back to the original bios..Or wait for a newer version to get released.
June 13, 2009 12:48:50 PM

if it was that simple i would have done that, but everytime i try reset the board(i.e. battery out power off) it doesn't reset my bios. i needed to update my bios as i got a duo cpu & my sytem wasn't performing
Related resources
June 13, 2009 1:10:20 PM

Check the CPU support tables and see if there's another version supporting your CPU, even if older than 2101.
Wait, I'll try and check it for you..
June 13, 2009 1:29:18 PM

Check the CPU support tables and see if there's another version supporting your CPU, even if older than 2101.
Wait, I'll try and check it for you..

but why wont my bios reset to factory setting.it will reset cmos(i.e. date/time ),but not bios. when i run asus update to check my bios it says 2101
June 13, 2009 1:45:08 PM

Oh my! When you remove the battery and use the CLR-CMOS jumper you only revert the bios settings to their default, exactly the same if you use 'load bios defaults' option in the last bios screen, the only difference is that you don't need your system to post to do it, very handy for an OCer. What I meant by reverting to default is using the same method you updated the bios in the first place to flash the old version back. That's why it's always advised to backup the bios before any update, if anything gets wrong, you'll need the old one..Nevertheless you can downloaded from the website..And a word of advice, don't use the windows based ASUS update utility..
June 13, 2009 1:51:32 PM

Whats your new CPU exactly?
June 13, 2009 2:15:45 PM

Intel Pentium E5200 Dual Core CPU which bios update program should i use
June 13, 2009 2:49:38 PM

ASUS website puts it as 2 , each for a revision of the E5200:
Pentium Dual Core E5200 (2.50GHz,800FSB,L2:2MB,rev.M0) 2001
Pentium Dual Core E5200(2.50GHz,800FSB,L2:2MB,rev.R0) 2104 beta
Check it yourself at : http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=YwIVDOTcvIMHZdTy&...
When you open the 'DOWNLOADS" section however, you'll see that 2104 isn't beta, while your 2101 is beta, I also noticed them saying 'Fix it hangs at “disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter” when boot from PXE' about the 2101, so they probably solved a problem and caused another!.
So I suggest you download the 2104. If that doesn't work, give 2001 a try and use CPU-Z to see if your CPU is properly recognized.
Again I say use EZ-flash or Afudos utilities and avoid the mobo-killer ASUS-update.
I wish this'll help you. Inform me about the results!
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2009 3:49:39 PM

Hi C

Go into the Windows device manager and uninstall the DVD/CD device(s). Reboot the computer and Windows will refresh the device(s).

See link, if this applies to you then try it.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060&Product=winxp

Also, go to the manufactures website of your DVD/CD drive(s) and see if there is a firmware update available.
June 13, 2009 11:23:58 PM

starams5 said:
Hi C

Go into the Windows device manager and uninstall the DVD/CD device(s). Reboot the computer and Windows will refresh the device(s).

See link, if this applies to you then try it.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060&Product=winxp

Also, go to the manufactures website of your DVD/CD drive(s) and see if there is a firmware update available.

motherboard dosnt recognise so windows wont
June 13, 2009 11:46:22 PM

Check it yourself at : http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=YwIVDOTcvIMHZdTy&...
When you open the 'DOWNLOADS" section however, you'll see that 2104 isn't beta, while your 2101 is beta, I also noticed them saying 'Fix it hangs at “disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter” when boot from PXE' about the 2101, so they probably solved a problem and caused another!.
So I suggest you download the 2104. If that doesn't work, give 2001 a try and use CPU-Z to see if your CPU is properly recognized.
Again I say use EZ-flash or Afudos utilities and avoid the mobo-killer ASUS-update.

tried afudos won't work, also tried ez-flash kept saying update older than present so won't update
June 14, 2009 11:34:00 AM

starams5 said:
Use the engineering edition of the afudos bios tool for downflashing.
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2008041109560523...

keep getting same message:

16 bit ms-dos subsystem

:\afudos.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll initialization
June 14, 2009 1:53:59 PM

manage to update to 2001. however still no joy on dvd drives, might hav to try a raid card or sata drive. which would be best
June 14, 2009 9:03:49 PM

And what about 2104?
Look for an option within the bios controlling the Jmicron controller..If it's disabled, enable it and vise versa.
June 14, 2009 10:39:51 PM

And what about 2104?
Look for an option within the bios controlling the Jmicron controller..If it's disabled, enable it and vise versa.

the Jmicron controller is set to ide, however i noticed that no matter which bios i used the jmicron one stayed the same 1.06
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2009 1:55:08 PM

conca666 said:
keep getting same message:

16 bit ms-dos subsystem

:\afudos.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll initialization

You have to put it on a disk, (like a 3 1/2" floppy, there are still times one of these is very handy to have) and boot with it. Some BIOS updating firmware will not work in a 32/64 bit Windows environment, DOS only.
June 15, 2009 3:10:46 PM

jitpublisher said:
You have to put it on a disk, (like a 3 1/2" floppy, there are still times one of these is very handy to have) and boot with it. Some BIOS updating firmware will not work in a 32/64 bit Windows environment, DOS only.

If you don't have a floppy drive like me, you can make any USB flash drive bootable
June 15, 2009 11:40:59 PM

If you don't have a floppy drive like me, you can make any USB flash drive bootable

how!
June 16, 2009 2:10:29 PM

You can always google for a bios flashing begginers guide. OK I'll work you through it....If you already made a bootable flash disk
(1) copy paste the afudos utility with the bios file (usually .rom, if comperssed in a zip or rar archive extract it first) to the flash disk..You may want ro rename the bios file if you can't memorize it to make things easier later..I usually rename it '1.rom' !!
(2) restart the PC and change the boot priority in the bios boot menu to make the usb flash disk the first boot device (the bios may see it as floppy drive, and you may have to access a submenu to make it so if you don't see the flash disk in the primary boot menu, so look carefully, it differs from one mobo to another)
(3) exit the bios and SAVE THE CHANGES and wait till the PC boots into DOS.
(4) write ' afudos /? ' and press enter. This help command will display the way afudos can backup and flash the bios..Familiarize yourself with the commands paremeters. Don't bother mamorizing them for the long term, you'll forget, I always do !!
(5) now BACKUP the current the bios into a file using what you've learned, again preferrably with a simple name e.g 2.rom.
(6) flash the new bios (1.rom)..And wait for the operation to complete..Never turn off the PC while afudos is flashing and NEVER TURN OFF IF THE OPERATION DIDN'T COMPLETE OR ANY ERROR MESSAGE DISPLAYED..Turning off or restarting in both cases is the fastest way to kill your mobo..Instead reflash the older bios (2.rom)..This is why I told you -and is always advised to- backup first.
(7) restart the computer after finishing the update, usually a checksom error appears, that's normal and no reason to panic, enter the bios screen and make any changes you want, you may want to revert the boot priority to the hard disk drive if it's not already reverted to the default. And you are good to go.
I recommend updating to the latest bios 2104..I hope I made as easy to you as possible. Good luck.
June 16, 2009 3:15:58 PM

You can always google for a bios flashing begginers guide. OK I'll work you through it....If you already made a bootable flash disk
(1) copy paste the afudos utility with the bios file (usually .rom, if comperssed in a zip or rar archive extract it first) to the flash disk..You may want ro rename the bios file if you can't memorize it to make things easier later..I usually rename it '1.rom' !!
(2) restart the PC and change the boot priority in the bios boot menu to make the usb flash disk the first boot device (the bios may see it as floppy drive, and you may have to access a submenu to make it so if you don't see the flash disk in the primary boot menu, so look carefully, it differs from one mobo to another)
(3) exit the bios and SAVE THE CHANGES and wait till the PC boots into DOS.
(4) write ' afudos /? ' and press enter. This help command will display the way afudos can backup and flash the bios..Familiarize yourself with the commands paremeters. Don't bother mamorizing them for the long term, you'll forget, I always do !!
(5) now BACKUP the current the bios into a file using what you've learned, again preferrably with a simple name e.g 2.rom.
(6) flash the new bios (1.rom)..And wait for the operation to complete..Never turn off the PC while afudos is flashing and NEVER TURN OFF IF THE OPERATION DIDN'T COMPLETE OR ANY ERROR MESSAGE DISPLAYED..Turning off or restarting in both cases is the fastest way to kill your mobo..Instead reflash the older bios (2.rom)..This is why I told you -and is always advised to- backup first.
(7) restart the computer after finishing the update, usually a checksom error appears, that's normal and no reason to panic, enter the bios screen and make any changes you want, you may want to revert the boot priority to the hard disk drive if it's not already reverted to the default. And you are good to go.
I recommend updating to the latest bios 2104..I hope I made as easy to you as possible. Good luck.

manage to do the bios(tried 2104, 2100,now on 2001), but jmicron still not recognizing ide, need to update jmicron or if not possible will have to buy sata dvdrw
!