New build...2yr old psu?

CSingh

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hi all,

I have an enermax noisetaker 600w psu from my old pc (this review has all the specs.......http://www.auphanonline.com/articles/view.php?article_id=2885&page=3), and i would like to run the following using this for my first build:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 3.16GHz
Asus P5Q Deluxe Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel DDR2 (OCZ2RPR10664GK)
2x 160gb sata HDs in Raid O
1x 1tb sata HD
2x DVD Wr drives
Creative extreme music XFi
Vista 64bit

Now my question is will this psu run a 9800gtx+ (or if possible can it run a gtx 260 maxcore)?

I am a bit confussed with the amps and rails system etc....as I know i need 2x 6pins for either of these gpus but with the correct amps which is what i'm not sure of......I do not plan to sli btw!!

And will the psu have the right connections for the motherboard?

Also as a final question is this a good spec for a budget system....as i am unsure if bottlenecking in games (I will be running this at a 1440x900 res).... (mostly crysis hopefully at high/possibly vhigh settings........i know i need to be relistic :lol: ).

Kind regards and soz for the long post!!

CSingh

I believe he was referring to the PSU having the gutz to run all of them. It's not a great PSU, but if it's been running this long, it should be trustworthy enough. It's got 2 +12v rails and 600w, so it should be fine.

techwizard08

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
There are a lot of guys on this forum that are extremely brand preferential. And while it is true a lot of the time that you get what you pay for, there are many instances of lesser-known (popular) branded items doing a superb job.

Your PSU can handle the cards interface wise, as well as should have enough power to manage either card sufficiently.

True, a PCP&C or Therm/Corsair may be better, but you should make out okay.

coleman

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
i would suggest using the power supply and if you have any problems then don't hesitate to change it for a brand new, the brands that techwizard suggested are all good.

coleman

CSingh

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
ok....sounds good...

u guys r gonna hate me...but this psu is the one that came in my alienware pc few years ago!!!.....i no....i no i was young and stupid lol!!

I am basically replacing the motherboard, ram, cpu and gpu in the alienware case and thought i would just use the rest of the old parts to make a decent gaming rig......

Oh and one last question....is this a good config..in terms of parts for performance for gaming? I wont be overclocking cos m a bit worried about air flow in the old alienwar case (may mod in a few more fans).....

thnks

CSingh