Sign in with
Your question

Help with GA-EX58 UD5 with Raid-0 + Memory BIOS settings

Last response: in Motherboards
June 13, 2009 8:51:00 AM

Hi,

This is My rig:

GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0) BIOS Ver F6 ; 6GB (2x3) Crosair CM3X2G1600C8 ; Core i7 920 with stock fan
2 x WD 160B Raid 0 ready in raid 0 mode (16mb buffer each) ; 1 x Samsung 1TB HD103UJ SATA2
Saphire HD 4870 OC Toxic @ (GPU 810Mhz Memory 1120Mhz) ; 850W Toughpower TT PSU ; Windows 7 RC1

First I had allot of problems simply installing Vista, I was setting my BIOS to default optimized settings and enabling RAID then setting it to RAID 0 going to install it crashed all the time.
Finally i discovered that turning the BIOS to safe mode and setting the RAID option on fixes this issue, by i feel like i am not using the maximum out of my rig (obviously).

So I decided to ask here for help in configuring my BIOS, and maybe i need to update my BIOS again (F8b), but bottome line i want to use the memory (1600mhz cl8) to it's best performance and the raid settings as well.

Anyway i anyone could help me out here that would be awesome.

thanks.

Daniel
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2009 11:39:46 AM

predatorftp said:
Hi,

This is My rig:

GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0) BIOS Ver F6 ; 6GB (2x3) Crosair CM3X2G1600C8 ; Core i7 920 with stock fan
2 x WD 160B Raid 0 ready in raid 0 mode (16mb buffer each) ; 1 x Samsung 1TB HD103UJ SATA2
Saphire HD 4870 OC Toxic @ (GPU 810Mhz Memory 1120Mhz) ; 850W Toughpower TT PSU ; Windows 7 RC1

First I had allot of problems simply installing Vista, I was setting my BIOS to default optimized settings and enabling RAID then setting it to RAID 0 going to install it crashed all the time.
Finally i discovered that turning the BIOS to safe mode and setting the RAID option on fixes this issue, by i feel like i am not using the maximum out of my rig (obviously).

So I decided to ask here for help in configuring my BIOS, and maybe i need to update my BIOS again (F8b), but bottome line i want to use the memory (1600mhz cl8) to it's best performance and the raid settings as well.

Anyway i anyone could help me out here that would be awesome.

thanks.

Daniel

You have to increase VDIMM to 1.65V and probably your VTT (CPU Uncore) to around 1.35-1.45V
June 13, 2009 2:52:08 PM

Hi thanks for the response,

What do you mean exactly and why do i need to increase V if i am not OC ?

What will this changes do excatlly to my Rig ?
thanks.
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2009 5:50:10 PM

predatorftp said:
Hi thanks for the response,

What do you mean exactly and why do i need to increase V if i am not OC ?

What will this changes do excatlly to my Rig ?
thanks.

You're overclocking your RAM if you run it at rated speed. It's rated at an overclocked speed.
June 13, 2009 6:02:06 PM

got it, what about the rest of the settings why does it behave so bizarre when it's on optimal ?

could you elaborate a little more on the CPU part and ACHI and the raid options ?
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2009 6:39:45 PM

predatorftp said:
got it, what about the rest of the settings why does it behave so bizarre when it's on optimal ?

could you elaborate a little more on the CPU part and ACHI and the raid options ?

At "Optimal" it might be running your memory at too high a speed, or too tight timings, for the voltage. Also, most BIOS isn't programmed to run a high-enough uncore voltage (memory controller, aka CPU VTT) for any given overclocked RAM.

I usually disable the JMicron controllers, aka GSATA on Gigabyte boards.
June 14, 2009 7:26:02 AM

thanks for the response,

I was looking to do the changes you detailed, but couldn't locate it. can you please show me the way (sorry for the noob hassle)

thanks
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 14, 2009 4:28:11 PM

Everyone with an i7 should probably read this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-scaling-i7,2...
I think it'll go a long way toward aleviating obsession regarding 'getting that last little squeeze' out of RAM speed...

You might also want to read this post:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-ga-ex58-ud4p-o...
It's pretty detailed, and may help...
If it's still 'all Greek', post back, and I'll try to help with actual, step-by-step settings, but realize, you'll be a 'beta' experiment for me: I don't yet have an i7 to fiddle with, and I'm just trying to come up to speed on them - I accept no responsibilty for 'toasted' processors! :??: 
June 15, 2009 7:51:19 AM

Found that Profile1 in my XMP option does exactly that it boosts the memory speed from the Intel default for i7 to the memories SPD there for boosting to 1600 mhz I don't know if it's taking care of the Voltage issue though ?:( 

I upgraded my BIOS to F8b last night and set defaults to optimal then turned on RAID.

I then booted to win 7 everything looked fine for a while and then boom i started to receive from Intel matrix driver errors on my RAID 0 after a few minutes windows crashed (BSOD).

since the stupid RAID interface of the MB doesn't gives you much options to help you recover from such error, I lost all my DATA on the RAID.
(BTW. if someone can teach me how to recover from such errors i would be thankful)

I have a few questions:
1. I tried to find differences in the default optimal vs fail safe and didn't find any. can some one point me to the differences ?
2. How to recover RAID 0 blinking in red on the start up screen ?
3. why does every time i run my system on optimal and set the memory to profile1 (1600mhz vs 1066 default) my RAID 0 breaks and system goes to hell ?

Please if anyone can help me i am starting to loose hope.

thanks .

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2009 2:25:48 PM

predatorftp said:
Found that Profile1 in my XMP option does exactly that it boosts the memory speed from the Intel default for i7 to the memories SPD there for boosting to 1600 mhz I don't know if it's taking care of the Voltage issue though ?:( 

I upgraded my BIOS to F8b last night and set defaults to optimal then turned on RAID.

I then booted to win 7 everything looked fine for a while and then boom i started to receive from Intel matrix driver errors on my RAID 0 after a few minutes windows crashed (BSOD).

since the stupid RAID interface of the MB doesn't gives you much options to help you recover from such error, I lost all my DATA on the RAID.
(BTW. if someone can teach me how to recover from such errors i would be thankful)

I have a few questions:
1. I tried to find differences in the default optimal vs fail safe and didn't find any. can some one point me to the differences ?
2. How to recover RAID 0 blinking in red on the start up screen ?
3. why does every time i run my system on optimal and set the memory to profile1 (1600mhz vs 1066 default) my RAID 0 breaks and system goes to hell ?

Please if anyone can help me i am starting to loose hope.

thanks .

Wow, that sounds bad. I had a new WD RE3 drive that kept dropping out of an array, causing similar issues.

As for the RAM, yes chosing an XMP profile does adjust voltage for you.
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 15, 2009 3:49:05 PM

There are no 'recovery' options for RAID0 - that's the nature of RAID0: no redundancy. A RAID1 will autorecover. I use two pair of WD Velociraptors for my OSs and swap partitions - I treat them as completely 'volatile' storage; i.e., knowing they can 'go at any time', when I'm happy with my install state of an OS, I do an image backup to (like yours) a Seagate 1.5T. I keep my data on a pair of RAID1 RE3s - they are redundant, and have gone through numerous rebuilds, alway successful, never losing any data. I have had good luck with the RAID0, though - when I've broken one, I've always known why, and at that point they were pretty empty. I've never had one break yet, in normal useage.

I have foud the occasional fix for it, though. I recently did a complete rebuild of my multi-OS system, with a view of adding a couple of Ubuntu partitions - but they'd have to 'live' on the RAID0s, and be able to access my data on the RAID1s. Ubuntu kept 'breaking' the first RAID0 - mostly writing corrupt descriptors for the drives. This happened numerous (three or four days of fruitless effort) times, often popping up the dreaded 'red drive' at boot. I found that most times, I could simply first set the affected drives to non-RAID, and then back to RAID, and my boot manager (BootItNG) would then find the original partitioning, sans the original partition names - I'd use it to restore the names, and it'd be ready to boot again (and, unfortunately, break again!).

I think Crashman may have it - a malfunctioning drive. RAID is pretty 'picky'; a lot of drives simply won't RAID in the long term. I had to pay about a thirty dollar premium for WD to 'turn off' a feature (deep recovery cycling) on Caviar Blacks, and make 'RE3's out of them - which will RAID. This problem is commonly caused by 'green' drives; the "Seagate Stutter' firmware problem; and large drives like the Caviar which periodically 'go offline' for self-maintenance
June 17, 2009 6:11:53 AM

My HD's (WD WD1601ABYS) are raid ready (i payed the extra for these baby's) i don't think it's the HD fault since the system works just fine (in raid0 and all) when the memory's are on 1066 mhz.

=NEWS= I have purchased a PCI Sata controller and most tried installing win-7 (7299) most of the attempts windows frizzes or crashes but never with an IO..sys message after lowering the memory back to 1066 I managed to install windows 7 (with a few recoverable crashes) BTW when i change the memory speed i am always using the profile1 option under XMP in the MB intelligent tweaker.
So now the system loads but behave really strange and freezes from time to time!

Don't have much clues regarding why all this is happening but i am starting to blame the MB for all this, obviously the on board ACHI controller is not functioning so "good" since my raid0 never broke once with the new Sata controller I don't know how to proceed.

any ideas on how to isolate the problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks
June 22, 2009 4:01:51 PM

HI,

This is my last shot:
I flagged my memorys modules (3x2) as 1,2,3 and moved to dual channel mode leaving one module out every try. this are the combination i tried with no success:
module 1&2,1&3,2&3 in 1600mhz (profile1) and 1066mhz (Intel default). in none of the configuration above did i make a successful installation of windows 7. I once made a successful installation with modules 1&2 in 1066mhz but then run into some BSOD's so decided to verify if the algedly success was a brake of chance or a real success. I didn't make it to another successful installation in this configuration.

after playing with the system for more than 6 hours the system started to behave really strange ! it didn't recognize some of the memory modules installed ans simply ignoring them...

gone without saying that all the test were done on the Intel sata controler with raid disabled ! (because i also tried doing all the above on a raid system causing the raid to brake every time).

So I finally decided i had enough with it, I sent my MB to gigabyte for a checkup, now I am waiting for their response. I hope that the problem comes from the MB and not from any other component, because i also tried a full memory diagnostics with windows memory diagnostics tool and the memory came through OK !

Oh and it's not a cooling problem because i took apart the CPU fan and applied a new layer of top quality thermal paste and made sure that the CPU cooler is firmly attached.

anyway I am waiting for GB response :) 

Thank you guys for all the help hopefully the answer is on it's way.

July 5, 2009 10:59:42 AM

EPILOG

The story ends.

Well like I said i was giving up on the MB after all the work and time I'v invested in finding out the problem, I decided to send it back to GB and for them to decide what is the problem.

Sent it to them with my memory and CPU so they can rule out any of the components. finally i got a call from them saying there is nothing wrong with the MB but they are going to leave the MB for another few days. when i got my MB back i found out that they did change the MB and (different MB serial number).

So the problem was in my MB. I then began in deep testing of the board and it's an upstanding MB !! I wish i didn't get that bad one before and wasted all this time and effort on making it work.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who tried to help me.

Daniel
July 6, 2009 7:44:20 AM

Thanks I will post my results in the future.
!