Upgrading to phenom 2

G

I upgraded my Amd64 6000 to a phenom 2 x4 940 but since doing so nothing comes up on the monitor at all. I notticed that the graphics card wasn't even turning on so swapped it out for an older one to see if it was just a power issue. The older card turned on but still nothing on screen at all.
CPU: Phenom 2 x4 940
Mobo: m3a32-MVP deluxe
Mem: 2x 2gig corsair xms2
Gfx: gtx 260 (older card is a geforce 7800)
Psu: 650w

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Badge is correct. I did the exact same switch. The X2 6000+ for a Phenom 2 940 on an M3A32 MVP Deluxe Wi-fi edition. I made sure to upgrade my Bios first. The upgrade went without a hitch.

Helloworld_98 mentioned your PSU but the 6000+ is the same wattage (125) as the phenom II so I doubt the PSU is the issue.

sub mesa

Distinguished
This is an excellent upgrade-path; and actually one of the few times a CPU upgrade might really be worth it. So go for it. :)

Phenom II are power efficient when not used; much more so than Intel Core i7, so you only need the power for full load situation which are very uncommon on desktop systems.

G

Thanks for the replies. Will update to the latest bios and report back

G

The screen is now staying black with the old 6000+ in it. I've tried updating the bios via a USB stick (asus ez flash3 or whatever it's called)but no luck. All the individual parts are working in a second mobo. So it's something in the m3a32

sid_nag17

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
i too am getting the phenom II 940 but donno which mobo to get with it im looking for a mobo within the %$120 range can u plz suggest me one ill be pairing it with a xfx 4850 and dont intend on doin crossfirex.

but i read that the 780g is not a good chipset wat do you guys suggest??

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

If you dont have a switch or jumper just remove the battery for about a minute or so.

AdamDBurns

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I know what has happend here, your motherboard does not support the pII prosessor so you've proberbly blown up your motherboard or somthing else eather way youve proberbly blown up somthing

G

You'd think there would be a warning on the phenom2s box if it can cause this much damage to an older board. What's the point in assigning sockets names if an am2+ processor blows up an am2+ board

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Its not the fact that its an older board. I did the EXACT same upgrade. The M3A32 MVP Deluxe DOES support the Phenom II. You do need the latest BIOS but not having the correct Bios shouldnt cause the symptoms you are seeing now, not having the right Bios the computer should still boot but the CPU will not properly be recognized.

You said you tried flashing the BIOS. Did you manage to get anything on screen to actually try the flash or did you simply mean you put the files on a USB stick and tried to boot still with no success?

When you reset the CMOS, was this with the old processor in. If not reset the CMOS once again with the old 6000+ in the board.

This is a long shot but I've done it to myself. What type of monitor are you using? Do you have more then one input on the monitor. I have an LG monitor with two inputs and a button to switch between them. A few weeks ago I was finishing up a build I was doing for a friend (coincidentally it was my old M3A32 since I upgraded to the M4A79). I switched out processor fans and when I cut the computer back on I couldnt get anything to display on the monitor. After reseating the processor, then video card I finally realized the problem was that the monitor I was using automatically switched to the other input when it didnt detect a signal on the input i was using for this computer. All it took was me hitting the input source button on my monitor.

Jonjamin

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Computer is plugged via hdmi into a tv although have also tried dvi into a normal monitor with no luck. While trying to flash the bios it was a case of plug the USB stick with the files on it in and then crossing my fingers. Been trying everything with the 6000+ processor in and only the bare essentials plugged into the motherboard. Thanks for all the help but my last option before binning the board seems to be finding out if the receipt is still in date

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
That really sucks. The M3A32 is a great board to have to give up.

Have you checked the ASUS forums. There is alot of really helpful information in there forums specific to this board.

Also, have you tried the video card in Both Blue PCI Express slots?

AdamDBurns

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
On the Asus website aparenly the M3A32 MVP Deluxe does not support the pII prosessor but if it does can i put a pII in my M3A78-T mobo?

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

The M3A32 DOES support the Phenom II's and is officially listed on ASUS's website as doing so.

The M3A78 does support the Phenom II as well.