IBM, GlobalFoundries plan more advanced chips

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
IBM, GlobalFoundries plan more advanced chips
By IT News Podcast
Created Apr 17 2009 - 11:45am

A host of chip makers, including IBM, on Thursday announced a partnership to develop low-power chips for mobile devices, which could challenge Intel's burgeoning presence in the space. IBM is allying with companies including Samsung and GlobalFoundries, which makes chips for Advanced Micro Devices, to develop smaller chips for devices like smartphones and mobile Internet devices. IBM wants to enable customers to design more power-efficient chips as the Internet and other applications become prevalent on mobile devices. The chips will be manufactured using the 28-nanometer process, an improvement from the 45-nanometer process widely used to make chips. The 28-nm process will enable chips to deliver a 40 percent performance improvement and 20 percent reduction in power consumption.

Sun Microsystems would be willing to revive acquisition talks with IBM if the latter company "makes a stronger commitment to complete the purchase," according to a Bloomberg News report Thursday. Sun declined comment Thursday on the report, which cited two unnamed sources familiar with the matter. IBM did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Meanwhile, a separate report from CNBC, also citing anonymous sources, said Sun approached IBM a couple of days ago about reopening talks. But IBM has cooled considerably on the prospect of acquiring Sun, due to the potential for a long and intense review by government regulators concerned about antitrust issues, the report added.

Google grew its profit and revenue in the first quarter, ended March 31, despite a tough economic environment that is affecting online advertising spending, the company's main revenue engine. Google reported revenue of US$5.51 billion in 2009's first quarter, up 6 percent compared to the $5.2 billion in revenue it generated in the first quarter of 2008, the company said Thursday. Subtracting commissions and fees Google pays to advertising and distribution partners, revenue came in at $4.07 billion, slightly missing the consensus forecast of $4.08 billion from analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.

Dell and Hewlett-Packard announced netbooks that support China's 3G standard Thursday as China Mobile, which is promoting the next-generation mobile technology, seeks new ways to attract scarce users. The netbooks, Dell's Inspiron Mini 10 and HP's Mini 1000, launched in China with built-in data cards for the 3G standard used by China Mobile, TD-SCDMA. Chinese PC makers including Lenovo also launched 3G netbooks this week. Lenovo launched three models that can climb online through either TD-SCDMA or one of the 3G standards offered by China Mobile's rivals. China Mobile will subsidize the netbooks by matching purchases with as much as 1,400 yuan, or US$205, worth of free Internet use, local media said.

...And those are the top stories from the IDG Global IT News Update, brought to you by the IDG News Service. I'm Sumner Lemon in Singapore. Join us again later for more news from the world of technology.

Source URL:
http://blogs.computerworld.com/ibm_globalfoundries_plan_more_advanced_chips

This I agree with. Although I love Google for its simplistic and at the time advanced approach they are probably next on the Us list of American companies that are too big.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Actually i rather think google will replace Microsoft as leading market player and largest company in the world.

And you have to agree google works much better than microsoft, and learns much quicker. Microsoft couldn't even code their own operating system kernel; windows 98 was a crashing nightmare and they received help from DEC alpha dudes that made Microsoft a proper NT kernel. Thats also why these NT versions run on DEC alpha hardware.

Seeing what Google does, how they work, how they try to understand their customer.. they are on a level microsoft could never compete with. Windows is actually a bad product, with a monopoly microsoft could make a truely good OS with all the money they had. Instead the best they could come up with is VISTA!!! oh yes so much improvement since 2001.....

(sry if it sounds flame-ish, but i hope you get my point that Microsoft's paradigm may just be over soon)

And in other news, I "plan" to be a billionaire!! :D

Enny, if you could just stop with the (1) IBM/AMD press release "news" which most of us have already seen and pretty much discounted, and (2) the YewTewb videos, the world would be a far, far better place! :whistle:

At least you didn't spell it "Micro$oft" :D

Not to poke too many holes in your argument, but Google is not your friend, if you value your privacy. You're just another data source to them, to exploit however they can sell to the government (Google for Gov't) or other companies such as life and health insurance, and soon auto insurance. Soon Google will store all your government records, health, financial, accident, ticket and other information on their servers and sell it to whoever ponies up the cash. And if you thought getting records like your credit report corrected by the big-3 (Experian, etc) was a problem, just try getting Google to change their data. After all, they are just the 'archivers' and not responsible for the content.

BTW, I have used Vista64 and it's not bad at all, once you get rid of the UAC. Certainly a lot more difficult to hack than XP. As for Windoze in general, it's obviously what the public wants, since they do have alternatives - MacOS, Linux, etc.

Right. If I were of a mind to search for online pr0n :D, I would use MSN's live search or something, not Google, unless I planned on changing my ISP or masking my IP address. Google is known to record all searches, despite their saying differently last year, and in order to make their ads more relevant, they also record your IP address.

Guess its time to respout my M$ findings. Go every other OS, and its a nightmare. Going from 16bit to 32, changing the whole kernel. Are they to blame? Eventually, all these OS's worked fine, but the startup? Horrid. Why? DRIVERS. No one wanted to upgrade their drivers, saw an opportunity for more sales, or were lazy/unresponsive.
I cant blame M$ for all of it, but it is the best we have for the majority

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
MSoft OSes are fine, its the poor job of application development that causes bluescreens and lockups.

I dare you to make a fresh install of Vista, or hell, XP for that matter, crash without installing some other piece of software.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Ofcourse you can, Microsoft is the only company that has enough influence to make computers truely better. Instead people working for free, deliver better software than Microsoft can. The leaked sourcecode of Windows 2000 also showed things like cursing and bad language in the comments in the sourcecode; overall of mediocre quality. Microsoft is a bloated company and is not using human and financial resources efficiently. Just look at the Vista-mishap; how they basically threw years of work in the garbage bin, because "It's never going to work!". Microsoft is not innovative at all. Google on the other hand, is.

Soon Google will store all your government records, health, financial, accident, ticket and other information on their servers and sell it to whoever ponies up the cash.
LOL like that isn't happening already like 5 years. Right now trade in stolen/robbed profiling/datamining data is booming. Google may be the only company that has company values like "do no harm". Its just that because Google is a less-evil company, people are following Google more closely than other companies, who do this under the radar. So while Google is getting alot of attention, they're not the people i'd trust the least.

Google didn't need to abuse its power (which it didn't even had in the beginning) to become a very large company - unlike companies like Intel and Microsoft, which know only economical value.

And what about Microsoft's original Hotmail terms? Which stated that everything you send or receive via Hotmail basically becomes the property of Microsoft and they can sell, use or advertise your ideas as if it were theirs. If Google did that, however, it would unleash a storm of protests. Why? Because people expect more from Google, than from say Microsoft or any other company that knows dollars better than human values. That doesn't make Google holy, but certainly much much better than alot of companies in the US.

You don't need to trust google though, use anonymizers or search engines who do not store search logs. Ofcourse that also means they cannot target ads, so eventually these companies may never be successful to any meaningful degree.

But maybe its not the companies that are evil, what about law makers and government supervision that draws the contours of our privacy; and limits how far companies are able to go. If you care about your privacy, you may need to move to a country which does not have 'anti-terrorist laws' to spy on the whole population.

Pretty much. My install of Vista only BSoD because of the memory voltage being set low.

Other than that its been stable since I fixed it.

But then again people tend to believe what they see on TV, especially the MAC adds.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Ive managed to get Vista to BSOD on install, but it was due to her shitty nvidia chipset board which I regretibly bought, not supporting SATA dvd drives fully.

Yet another reason I stay away from nVidia chipsets.

A friend of mine has a mobo with one that is a AMD board with a nVidia chipset and he can't have a SATA DVD drive and HDDs on a SATA connection. So he has to use IDE DVD drives. Which sucks as they are getting rare.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Forgot to mention it was for my wifes system :D

Also, I had to go out and snag a IDE drive to finish the install. Once I did that and got windows updated I reinstalled the SATA drive and it works fine. I guess it was a firmware thing, kinna like how on a clean install Vista will detect my BRD as a regular dvd drive and it will NOT read blu-ray disk. But after windows updates it recognizes it right and works right.