Your professional opinion, please- budget overclocking system

rmford

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I'm looking at building a home pc, to be used for gaming and photo-processing, and for bragging rights.

AT this stage, i'm looking at the following setup, and am curious as to whether it'll 'work', and whether you know of any improvements- especially if the improvement would cost less than my current selection.

It's going to be living in an aquarium that's filled with oil, so cooling isn't going to be a problem. I live in australia, so i've done my best to roughly work out the price in usd.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 8MB FSB 1066MHz SLACR (~160 usd)

mboard: ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 (~100usd)

RAM: 4GB 2 x 2GB DDR2 RAM PC2 4200 533MHZ MEMORY PC2-4200 (~80usd, possibly looking at 2 of these kits)

GPU: ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 Video Card 1GB DDR2 (~75 USD)

EDIT: i was going to go with the above card, but the MSI Nvidia GT240 512MB DDR5 PCI-E, at ~100 USD looks to be much better bang for the buck.

PSU, HDD etc aren't of massive importance, really, but if there's anything that you're aware of that's absolutely outstanding value for this sort of system, i'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for your time :)

mkb 58

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Before I, or anybody else could really give you a definitive answer, what is your maximum budget? I can guess it based off of your parts that you have now, but to have a solid number provided by you we can better assist you.