Is it necessary to install an OS on an SSD

madman322

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I just bought a 60GB vertex 2. Perhaps a bit prematurely, but I found one for 139.99 so I couldn't pass up the deal. Either way is it completely necessary to install the OS on this drive? I feel like it would be more beneficial to use the space for important programs and games. Will I see an increase in anything besides OS boot and shutdown times? Also, will W.I.E. recognize the SSD?

Solution
Studies have shown that Games don't really benefit from being on an SSD, except WoW.

Programs may not load faster if the OS isn't also installed on the SSD, as the *.dll files will still be on the drive with the OS, and not load faster.

Seriously, why wouldn't you install the OS on a SSD? Once you go SSD, you'll never go back!

But to answer your OP, NO. You could use it as a second drive.

And if it's a second drive, WIE will NOT regonize it. In WEI, it states primary drive only.
Studies have shown that Games don't really benefit from being on an SSD, except WoW.

Programs may not load faster if the OS isn't also installed on the SSD, as the *.dll files will still be on the drive with the OS, and not load faster.

Seriously, why wouldn't you install the OS on a SSD? Once you go SSD, you'll never go back!

But to answer your OP, NO. You could use it as a second drive.

And if it's a second drive, WIE will NOT regonize it. In WEI, it states primary drive only.

Solution

madman322

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Well, I'm pretty sure it will be at least of some help to me as I mostly play RPG's and massive world map games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion (similar to WoW). But I suppose I can spare the extra space and fit both on the drive. Just have to make sure I only put the important stuff on it. Thanks for the tip tho!