Your question
Closed

Coolermaster Hyper 212+ vs TX3: My experiences

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 17, 2010 9:54:04 AM

Hey all,
It's been a while since I've purchased anything for my computers but today I went ahead and plopped down some cash and got myself a new CPU cooler. For a long time I was running my CM 212+ on my i5 750 machine. I figured at the time it performed well, got 10/10 from PC world (or was it Maximum PC) and was cheap. So I was happy.

Until I left a box out and someone in my house (not saying who... efiw) went on a cleaning bender and tossed the box for the unit, along with the second pair of brackets for a second 120MM fan. I was pissed. But for about a year now I've been running the unit fine with the stock single fan, on multiple computers.

I was running it on my AMD 720BE (which now sits in a box in the closet gathering dust... some day I will get to that HTPC project. When I am working again.) and then tried it on my Q9650 (which I am sacrificing to pay for another project. ) and always have had good luck with it.

Fast forward to today. I was told by the fella buying my Q9650 he wouldn't accept it without a good after market fan. I was a little mad because he's getting the unit for about half price and now making demands. But I need the cash so I figured throw in a $20 cooler with the deal. So I hopped in the car and headed to Frys. There I found what I now call "mini-me!" TX3.

So after reading reviews when I got home I figured "What the hell? Why not install it on the i5 and lets compare!" So I did just that. And used the same AS5, mounted the unit (I actually really like the mounting scheme for the i5 with the TX3. The unit feel's more solid than it did with the backplate system used with the 212+. )

The downside is the cooler looks downright tiny in my HAF 922 case! Compared to the 212+ with the 120MM fan and the TX3 with it's little 92MM fan. But the real test was how did it perform!

In a nutshell, exactly the same. Before I was running with the 212+ and at stock speeds with the ambient temp somewhere around 23 Celsius the unit idles at 25C with the 212+ and 26C with the TX3. And at Max load (via Prime 95) The 212+ runs at 52C while the TX3 runs at 53C and frankly the 1 C difference I attribute to the fact the 212+ had AS5 that had a chance to cure (over 6 months of use, and AS5 takes about 2 weeks to fully cure) and for the TX3 it was freshly applied less than 2 hours ago. Given time I actually think the TX3 could out preform the 212+.

These are just my observations and are not the most scientific of methods were used, but I wanted to pass it along. I have not tested the TX3 with over clocking but I assume it would get me to about 3.8 Ghz and under 70C pretty easily. Not sure though.

Anyhow, hope you enjoyed and sorry for the avalanche of text!
July 17, 2010 12:19:43 PM

Thanks for the input!
Score
July 17, 2010 3:59:57 PM

How the heck do you get idle temp of 25 C when your ambient temp is 23 C?! Ambient temp = room temp right?

I have a hyper 212+ w/ IC Diamond 7 on i7-920 @ 3.8 GHz w/ 1.225 v, my room temp is about 21 C and my CPU idle's at 40/41-45/46 C!! :X
Score
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 17, 2010 5:02:39 PM

i7's always run a little warmer then their 1156 counterparts. Especially because they have hyper threading on and you have yours overclocked. Also I should make it clear that in my case I have a 200MM fan blowing cold air right onto the top of the TX3 (and had the same fan layout for the 212+) as well as a 74 CFM rear exhaust fan and a 200MM frontal intake fan and 2 more exhaust fans on top of the case. They call this a HAF (High Air Flow) and brother, it has exactly that!

Just thinking about how many fans I have on, how much air I am moving kind of blows my mind. But there you have it!
Score
July 17, 2010 5:20:04 PM

Maybe, but I also have 2 x 120mm front intake, 1 x 120mm rear exhaust, and 1 x 140mm roof exhaust.
Score
a b K Overclocking
July 17, 2010 6:41:20 PM

What is the TDP of your CPU ?? -- The TX3 will perform on par with the 212+ up to a certain wattage (I've got 1 on my X3 720 unlocked 4th core) but once you start overclocking and putting a bit more wattage into the CPU the temps will rise more on the TX3 once it reaches the point where the smaller size HS can not dissipate all of the heat created. But yeah at stock settings the TX3 works great for the price ( I paid $4.99 for mine shipped !! ($14.99 sale - $10 discount on next purchase from Newegg)) but for OCing on a high TDP CPU I'd still pay the extra for the 212+ (though with the latest price increases on it I might look for one by another company that performs as well $49.99 + $7.56 shipping is gettng ridiculous !!! (when it used to be $29.99 with free shipping a few months ago))
Score
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 17, 2010 7:25:44 PM

JDFan said:
What is the TDP of your CPU ?? -- The TX3 will perform on par with the 212+ up to a certain wattage (I've got 1 on my X3 720 unlocked 4th core) but once you start overclocking and putting a bit more wattage into the CPU the temps will rise more on the TX3 once it reaches the point where the smaller size HS can not dissipate all of the heat created. But yeah at stock settings the TX3 works great for the price ( I paid $4.99 for mine shipped !! ($14.99 sale - $10 discount on next purchase from Newegg)) but for OCing on a high TDP CPU I'd still pay the extra for the 212+ (though with the latest price increases on it I might look for one by another company that performs as well $49.99 + $7.56 shipping is gettng ridiculous !!! (when it used to be $29.99 with free shipping a few months ago))

Max TDP is 95W according the Intel. And this is running stock speeds and settings. I've decided to not OC this machine at this time. I had it OC'd for a while but didn't see a need to do it aside from bragging rights and a CPU-Z siggy.
Score
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 17, 2010 7:29:25 PM

trancetunes said:
Maybe, but I also have 2 x 120mm front intake, 1 x 120mm rear exhaust, and 1 x 140mm roof exhaust.

You have a Antec 300. I have one too and find the airflow in it isn't that great when compared the the HAF. the 2 120MM intakes don't do much aside from cool the GPU and the hard drives. I ran two antec tri-cools in mine set to high speed and it never made a overall difference aside from one or 2 C. the top fan is OK but the single rear 120 is what I hated. It never seemed to move enough air. Now the cooler in that case is a H50 with some aftermarket (I think enermax) 74CFM fan doing the cooling and it's working pretty well.

But for better temps, get a better case. Seriously.
Score

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
July 18, 2010 3:36:26 AM

Quote:
Max TDP is 95W according the Intel. And this is running stock speeds and settings. I've decided to not OC this machine at this time. I had it OC'd for a while but didn't see a need to do it aside from bragging rights and a CPU-Z siggy.

95W is pretty much the sweet spot for the TX3 (that's the same as the X3 720) - but for higher TDP's like the X4 965 for example at 125W the heat starts to build up a bit on the heatsink leading to higher temps - so the 212+ will perform better there but for CPU's around 100W or less the performance of the 2 is about the same so for the price the TX3 is a great deal.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 18, 2010 5:05:07 AM

Yup, and I am pretty happy with it, other than the stock fan being a little buzzy. But it's a 2800 RPM 50-something CFM 92 MM so I suppose it's a trade off. Matter of fact the stock fan on the 212+ was a little noisy as well. But it did a great job.

On a separate note the person who was going to buy my Q9650 flaked last minute. Typical craigslisters. I think $250 for a Q9650 with the 212+ is a friggin' steal, I just hope I get some biters soon.
Score
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 18, 2010 5:15:06 AM

Best answer selected by greeneman510.
Score
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 18, 2010 5:26:06 AM

JDFan said:
95W is pretty much the sweet spot for the TX3 (that's the same as the X3 720) - but for higher TDP's like the X4 965 for example at 125W the heat starts to build up a bit on the heatsink leading to higher temps - so the 212+ will perform better there but for CPU's around 100W or less the performance of the 2 is about the same so for the price the TX3 is a great deal.

And because of that reason, I will not be installing it on my 1055T :D  But thanks for the tech. info! I always appreciate specifics!
Score
!