Your question
Solved

I5 750 or i7 860 which one is better and y

Last response: in Overclocking
July 17, 2010 10:53:30 AM

hey all
i m gonna buy a new pc this month

but i m still confused with three things

which processor i should buy i5 750 or i7 860 and y many people say amd is better than intel i dont know anythng about this amd processors so plz tell me

what is this over clocking and wat is the use of it and how we do it and do we need some other things for this over clocking, i read something like corsair with this overclocking wat is this? do i have to buy any thn else with my pc for over clocking

for i5 750 or i7 860 do i need a cooler master elite 335(some body told me to buy it) is it just a cabinet? if yes then y is it preferable to buy cooler master only y not iball cabinet or atx?

and also please tell me which company hdd is better i m gonna buy 1tb so should i buy a seageate one or wd?

Detailed information will really help me

More about : 750 860

July 17, 2010 12:03:18 PM

processor is all about preference. what do you plan on using the pc for? gaming, graphics? multi tasking? between the i5-750 and i7-860...the i7-860 is better and more expensive. fanboys are gonna tell you one is better than the other, but it comes down to this...amd is more budget and intel is more performance. if you have a budget, the amd is the route to go under 200 bucks for processor.

overclocking is a complex operation using the bios setting on the motherboard to increase the performance, typically the processor, but may also include the graphics card and ram. this is very tricky and is too complex to explain in this short amount of space. i would suggest reading related articles by using the search feature on this website or just google it.

again, pc cases are a matter of preference and how much equipment you plan on cramming in there. there is no right or wrong, as this choice is not bound by compatibility issues...just pay attention to how much you can spend and how much air flow you need for the components you have.

the hd is not going to matter when it comes down to a basic one...the 1 tb 7200 rpm all perform about the same...but seagate or western digital are generally the most reliable ones...i would go with either.

if you have any other questions, i would be happy to try to answer them to the best of my ability. just read up as much as you can and get as much knowledge as possible, as this is a very complex thing and screw-ups can be costly
m
l
July 17, 2010 12:10:51 PM

oh yeah...forgot to mention that there is the issue of compatibility when it comes to your components...each processor has to have the right kind of motherboard...make sure you have a powerful enough power supply for all your components, etc.
m
l
Related resources
July 17, 2010 12:59:24 PM

this is the current config that i decided to buy

processor: i5 750 or i7 860
motherboard: DH55TC
Ram: Kingston 4gb(2+2)
HDD: 1tb seagate
cabinet:p lease tell me this one acc to my config so that it keeps my pc cool

if you think that any changes should be done in this config then please tell me

and yes i m gonna use my pc for developing purposes and for designing and video editing too, i m gonna use Visual studio 2008, oracle, adobe products(as4,photoshop,drmvr,and other designing products)

and i m gonna use vmware to boot approx three os

i m not a addicted gamer i used to play small games like road rash and nfs underground and hot pursuit 2 thats all wat i play

so this is all what i need a pc for

and my budget is $800-$900 for full pc and for the cpu with cabinet it may be like 600 or some

and thanks for this great reply
m
l
July 17, 2010 10:52:14 PM

this looks pretty good, the budget you have i would definitely go with cheaper components(the i5-750 over the 17-860, as the 860 is pretty expensive)...1 question i have for budget sake: do you already have a graphics card, monitor, os, and power supply? if you do not, these things are going to kill your budget. as for the case...go to a site like newegg and look around but that cooler master elite 335 is good and it's cheap. i would also check into an after market processor cooler, as the intel stock fan is crap. get back to me with the other components i was talking about(graphics, monitor, os and powersupply) and we can go from there

m
l
July 17, 2010 11:08:28 PM

where do you live? the reason i'm asking is that microcenter had some really good deals on some of the parts you were looking to buy which could save you a good amount of money vs the egg.
m
l
July 18, 2010 7:36:26 AM

i m gonna buy full pc evry thing new
ok so i5 750 is final? but still plz tell me HT which is in 860 but not in 750 will it going to matter me or is this makes much diff?

and also plz tell me the best motherboards also for both of these
i mean for i5 750 and i7 860

and yes what abt the looks of cooler master elite 335?

and as i m not a gamer but used to play some games like one time in a month so how much mb of graphic card i need? is 1gb sufficient and if yes then which company and which version etc?

i m from india

thanks
m
l
July 18, 2010 8:03:00 AM

acha one more thing that core 2 duo has a clock speed of 2.93 then y i5 750 has 2.66 plz tell me this
m
l
July 18, 2010 10:18:11 AM

nitin_pc said:
acha one more thing that core 2 duo has a clock speed of 2.93 then y i5 750 has 2.66 plz tell me this

Because they have different architecture. Core i5 has higher IPC(instructions per clock) than the core 2 series. So the 2.66 ghz core i5 can outperform a core 2 quad at 3 ghz and above

I think an i7 860 is better for your computer usage. The extra 4 threads will give you a nice boost.
m
l
July 18, 2010 12:26:35 PM

i5-750...$200
kingston ram 2x2...$100
DH55TC mono...$100
seagate 1tb hd...$75
coolermaster elite 335 $50
windows 7... $200
power supply....gonna vary depending on graphics card $50-$100
graphics card...$50-$600
monitor...$100-$300
$725 before you factor in power supply, graphics and monitor. i paid $1200 for my full pc and it's a very modest set-up, so it gets very expensive to build your own
m
l
July 18, 2010 2:27:53 PM

is dh55tc gud one for i5 750 as i saw somewhere that H55 series is for dual core processors and for quad based there is P55 is it true? if yes then which motherboard i should buiy and yes please suggest me a gud graphic card of 1 gb also as i dont know anythn about it and yes u mentioned that power supply will cost me 50-100$ but i heard that i will get power supply with cooler master?

thanks
m
l
July 18, 2010 5:36:43 PM

one more thing what is hyperthreading, will it going to make much diff as it is not in i5 750 but it is in i7 860?

i mean due to this feature and some .20 ghz of clock speed and 4 threads more should i pay more $ on i7 860?

and some body please tll me how cooler master elite 335 look as i saw its image on google and i found many blue lights blowing there i didnt like that? so is it the same in reality?

which motherboard i should buy with i5 750 and i7 860, tell me for both of them, the person from whom i m buying the pc told me that i should buy DH55TC and i found on google that it belongs to H55 chipset, this H55 chipset is suitable for dual core systems like for core 2 duo and other i5 dual cores but i5 750 is a quad core so which one i should buy for i5 750 and i7 860 please tell for both
m
l
July 18, 2010 6:55:45 PM

i saw the link i have a doubt if i purchase the cooler master elite 335 then will i get the power supply with it? if no then which one i should buy?

and please help me to decide a motherboard which works gr8 with i5 750 and for i7 860 i prefer to get motherboard of intel or gigabyte? is this the right filteration?

and also please tell me that am i ryt with this H55 and P55 concept?

thanks
m
l
July 18, 2010 7:31:05 PM

also please suggest me a good 1gb graphic card
m
l
July 19, 2010 11:40:02 AM

pleas reply fast as my vacations are coming to an end thanks
m
l
July 19, 2010 12:11:07 PM

im not real knowledgeable with gpu's outside of gaming...also, you don't really make a comprehensive analysis based on gpu memory, but for what you are doing i think you should be fine with an ati 5770 or nvidia gts 250
m
l
July 19, 2010 12:19:46 PM

Buy the gtx 460, its a great card.
m
l
July 19, 2010 12:28:10 PM

i would have suggested that or the 5830 if he was gaming and not on as strict a budget
m
l
July 19, 2010 1:01:31 PM

ok and what about the motherboard? thanks
m
l
July 19, 2010 2:09:20 PM

i think u should go for the msi r5770 hawk graphics card and the i5 750 and depending on ur budget choose from these motherboards, the gigabyte ud3p or ud4p, the gigabyte h55m usb3 or the gigabyte ud2h, or the intel warrensburg, but i recommend the gigabyte h55m usb3 as it is cheap and it has nice features, it just doesnt have crossfireX but i doubt you would buy 2 graphics cards and put them in crossfire, the ud2h is also a nice motherboard as it has ultra durable features
m
l
July 19, 2010 2:16:42 PM

oh and i have overclocked my i5 750 to 4 ghz, so it is a pretty awesome cpu for overclocking, i read in pc format that the ud2h is a good board 4 overclocking for its price, if u are going 2 overclock ur cpu make sure u have an aftermarket cpu cooler, i use the gigabyte G power II pro
m
l
July 19, 2010 2:22:49 PM

haha i love toms hardware there are people from all over the world trying to help each other, im from South Africa :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 19, 2010 3:11:33 PM

Hi there,
You still haven't stated what you intend to use the PC for. It makes a big difference in terms of what components you should be getting, especially for the CPU.

The i5 750 is one of the best gaming CPUs you can get. Yes, the i7 will be faster for multi tasking and multi threading, but in terms of gaming the performance increase is very very little. Many games out there use only 2, sometimes 3 cores so hyper threading won't have any benefits.

For an i5 750 motherboard, IMO you should go with a P55 chipset over the H55 as it is better. My recommendations are either ASUS P7P55D (Pro or Deluxe) or an quivalent Gigabyte board. These are about $180.

For a GPU, again, depends if you're gaming. A great choice right now is the GTX 460 1gb as was mentioned above. That's $230. If you want to go cheaper, you should look at an HD 5770 or maybe a GTS250.

The best thing for you to do is to keep looking and researching what you want. There's a lot of info out there comparing CPUs, GPUs, everything. Inform yourself before making such a big investment.

Hope this helps.
m
l
July 19, 2010 4:40:49 PM

no no i m not gamer i play games occasionaly may be once in a week or may be in a month

i will be using almost all designing tools of adobe and other and i will be using

development tools like visual studio 2008(4.8 gb after installation) and other developing

tools

i also use to compress and decompress big files

wat abt gigabyte P55m ud2? wat abt the performace of this board if i go with i5 750 or i7

860(please tell for both)

what is after market cpu cooler?

one most imp question as i m not a gamer so do i actully need a graphic card? if yes then is

it necesary to spend this huge money

please check Nvdia 9500 GT and tell me whether it will be good for my work and for both i5

750 or i7 860

this is the current config that i m going to buy

if u think that any changes in this should be done then please tell me

HDD - 1 TB WD 7200 RPM
Processor - i5 750 or i7 860 ( please tell me acc to my work)
Ram - 4GB (2+2) Kingston
MotherBoard - GigaByte P55M-UD2
DVD RW - LG
Cabinet - Cooler master elite 335
Power supply - GSM or cooler master (please tell me this also)
Graphic Card - 1 GB Nvdia 9500 GT
Headphone - Intex Mega with Mic(Black)
Monitor - LG 18.5" TFT
Mouse+Keyboard - Logitech Kit
Creative - 2.1 SBS A30

please tell me the changes

thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 19, 2010 5:04:23 PM

Ok well for development software, many are more supportive of multithreading. In that case, the i7 860 is definitely the way to go since it has 8 logical cores. Unfortunately I do not know if those specific programs do support multi threading. I think you should definitely look into that yourself.

That being said, what you've picked looks pretty good. For a PSU, my recomendation would be a Corsaire 650TX. It's a superb unit.
For graphics card, a 9500GT will work but I can't see why not get something with a little more power, at least a 9800GT or go with the newer architecture like a GT240. I got a GT 240 for $45 after rebait, can't beat that.

The motherboard looks fine. It's a microATX so you can get a pretty small case if you want.

For a CPU cooler, if you plan to leave it stock then you don't need to worry about it. If you want to overclock it a bit for more speed, the it's almost mandatory to get one. But the size you can get is limited by the size of the case you get.

But yeah, looks like a decent build so far.
m
l
July 20, 2010 7:07:30 AM

if your budget is low rather go for the i5 750. As it is great for overclocking i have overclocked mine to 4,2 ghz and its stil running at a low temp, as for graphics cards rather go for a newer card like the gt 240, i used to have a 9500 gt and it gave me endless problems
m
l
July 20, 2010 10:15:33 AM

wat problems u suffered? and for gt 9500 i decided to buy gigabyte p55m ud2

so do i have to change my choice of motherboard for gt240? or this p55m ud2 will work greatly

please tell me more about 9800 gt how is it and did anybdy here used it? and gordon did u used 9800 gt as u told me about the problems that u suffered plz somebody tell me about any problems if u faced with 9800 gt?

Power supply

do i actully have to spend this much money for corsair 650tx
i havent purchaesd any thing till now so any suggestions regarding changes will really help me not wasting my money

wat abt cooler master psu and how much watt?
m
l
July 20, 2010 10:15:58 AM

wat problems u suffered? and for gt 9500 i decided to buy gigabyte p55m ud2

so do i have to change my choice of motherboard for gt240? or this p55m ud2 will work greatly

please tell me more about 9800 gt how is it and did anybdy here used it? and gordon did u used 9800 gt as u told me about the problems that u suffered plz somebody tell me about any problems if u faced with 9800 gt?

Power supply

do i actully have to spend this much money for corsair 650tx
i havent purchaesd any thing till now so any suggestions regarding changes will really help me not wasting my money

wat abt cooler master psu and how much watt?
m
l
July 20, 2010 10:37:09 PM

the corsair 650tx is an excellent psu(i own it), its realible and strong, and it will also give you a great oppurtnity for any future upgrades, also corsiar is one of the better companies out there, if you dont plan on doing any future upgrades, you could probably get away with a 450 watt model.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
July 21, 2010 10:33:00 AM

and what abt 9800 gt? and if i go for i5 750 and graphic card 9800 gt now and buy the motherboard gigabyte p55m ud2 then in future if i upgrade it to i7 860 then will my motherboard and graphic card support it?

thanks and yes one more thing u said that i should buy any 450 watt psu so can i go for cooler master or should i buy corsair 450
m
l
July 21, 2010 10:35:36 AM

and i m asking this again as it is a major issue please tell me which company hdd is better to buy

seagate or WD
i m gonna buy 1TB
thanks
m
l
July 21, 2010 11:18:47 AM

Between Seagate and Western Digital, there's not much beyond name to choose.

Both brands have been around for aeons, both brands have had their share of bad press over the years, and both brands are still going today, so both brands have to be doing something right.

At this stage, go for whichever of the two costs less.
m
l
July 21, 2010 11:36:52 AM

please reply to this one also

and what abt 9800 gt? and if i go for i5 750 and graphic card 9800 gt now and buy the motherboard gigabyte p55m ud2 then in future if i upgrade it to i7 860 then will my motherboard and graphic card support it?

thanks and yes one more thing u said that i should buy any 450 watt psu so can i go for cooler master or should i buy corsair 450
m
l
July 21, 2010 1:23:47 PM

as i m not a gamer but still i use heavy softwares so will overclocking help me doing my work faster? if yes then please tell me what is after market cooler? and which one i should buy

thanks
m
l
July 21, 2010 1:56:29 PM

If the i7 860 uses the same socket as the i5 750, no problem there. I'm not sure about the sockets, though, so perhaps other input here?

The graphics card will support any board with a PCIE 2.0 connector, so yes.

Careful with power supplies, there your safest bet is to go with name brands. Personally, I'd go for the Cooler Master option.

Aftermarket cooler refers to the CPU heatsink when it has been replaced with an upgraded version. OEM CPUs ship with a heatsink bundled, and this is referred to as the 'stock' or 'OEM' heatsink - OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. By replacing the heatsink with a Cooler Master V8 or Tuniq Tower, you are installing aftermarket cooling, or an aftermarket cooler. I cannot really advise much here again, since 90% of my cooling expertise involves liquid cooling or phase-change, or several industrial systems like evaporative cooling and immersion convection cooling.

Overclocking may or may not help you, depending on what you are doing. If you are spending hours in a word processor or spreadsheet, or on the web, don't bother.

For software development, I think the only improvement you will see from overclocking is while compiling, and for best results stress-test the system VERY thoroughly to ensure there are no errors - a single error during compilation will make the compile fail, and it is incredibly frustrating to go through several thousand lines of perfect code only to find it failed because the CPU itself glitched. Experience talking, it was not fun.

Graphic design/photo editing might show an improvement in performance during manipulation of the data, but my experience is very sketchy here. Your mileage may vary.

If you are going to be spending plenty of time around the machine, you might want to upgrade the cooling anyway in order to keep noise levels down.
m
l
July 21, 2010 2:30:53 PM

nitin_pc said:

yes, since the i5 and the i7-860 use the same socket, if your going do be doing alot of work with stuff like adobe and other related software, i would say go for the i7 now. the i5 would be the better option if you were going for a gaming mostly rig. overclocking would increase your speed of work, but it would depend on how big the overclock was, and with overclocking in mind i would suggest a 500-550watt power supply minumum to play it safe. I dont know much about the quality of coolermasters psu, but corsair is one of the better respected brands, it would come down to how much your willing to spend.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 2:31:28 PM

^ pretty much everything Mugz said.

Just to clear up the sockets, the 1156 socket is used for the i3, i5 and i7 8xx series. Only the i7 9xx series use a different socket type, so yes you can upgrade from an i5 750 to an i7 860 (although now the 870 just dropped in price big time, defintely a good option)

And as for air cooling, a well liked and very well priced heat sink is the Hyper 212+. It's fairly good and only costs around $30. If you want better you'll be paying $60 or more.
m
l
July 21, 2010 4:23:31 PM

yeah how is i7 870 they slahed prices to a great extent

please tell me that will it help me in my work if it is too better than i5 750 and i7 860 then i will not buy windows 7 ($200) and with this money i can spend this money in processor but only if it is better than both of my earlier choices

thanks a lot wolfram for this info and Mugz it was a grea rply thanks

please tell me more about the graphic card Nvidia 9800 GT 1GB

and also about i7 870

thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 4:47:15 PM

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=48496,42915,41316...,

Basically if your programs support mulithreading then yeah, the i7 860 or 870 will be faster than an i5 750. You need to figure that part out tho, since you know what you'll use. If you're just going to run Office then it won't matter.

The difference between 860 and 870 appears to only be the clock going from 2.8 to 2.93ghz, and it only costs an extra $14. Probably worthwhile to just get it if you're not into overclocking.

9800GT was a good card 3 years ago. It'll still run most things at least decently well. You might consider upgrading to at least a GT240 or GTS 250 which are a better architecture and faster. I think the GT240 is comparable to a 9800GTX, and you can find them for quite good prices... I got one for $45 after rebait.
m
l
July 21, 2010 6:44:02 PM

what about the amd phenom II x6 1055T, it is a hex core cpu which would be better for the type of things that you are doing, and the amd motherboards are cheaper also with socket am3 you can probably upgrade to the amd bulldozer cpus later on
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 8:02:08 PM

That is true, if doing multithreading then the 1055T is a great 6 core CPU and around the same price as an i5 750. It's not anywhere near as good as the 750 in games, but beats it in many other applications. I do not know how the 860 compares to it tho, as the 860 has 8 logical cores. However, the 860 is also quite a bit more $.
m
l
July 22, 2010 2:08:54 AM

yes my normal sitting time on pc is minimum 10 hours a day and maximum 19, and yes please i dont wanna buy AMD processors only because they are cheap if they are more powerful than intel then only i will think about them to buy

and dont worry for $ as i am not going to buy windows 7 now so it saves me $200 so please tell me the best from i5 750 , i7 860 , i7 870

and yes if ther is only diff of clock speed in i7 860 and i7 870 then y intel was charging too much for it

i googled gt240 and i found that it takes two slots, i finalised that i m gonna buy cooler master elite 335 so will i suffer any problms installing it?

thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 22, 2010 2:50:51 AM

Only some versions of GT 240 are 2 slots. EVGA should be a single slot.

And you might as well go with the i7 860, it'll be a very good CPU.
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:36:20 AM

If you end up with a two slot card, you have to make sure that you are prepared to lose the slot next to the 16x PCIE slot. Plus, if the card is long enough, you will need to make sure your hard drive cage is far enough forward to allow the card to fit.

The CM Elite 335 should be big enough to fit all but the largest of cards...
m
l
July 22, 2010 10:34:56 AM

please give me the link for the graphic card gt240 which has one slot and is it the best option for me if i buying i7 860 with motherboard gigabyte p55m ud2

and if i go for i7 860 over i5 750 and buy motherboard gigabyte p55m ud2 with gt240 and with psu cooler master 450 watt as corsair 650 tx is very costly

please tell me is corsair 650 tx really worth buying and do i really need it as it is very costly than cooler master

no prblm if it is costly i can spend money on that but only if it is really gr8 for me i mean for my configuration(i7 860 gigabyte p55m ud2, gt240)

thanks
m
l
July 22, 2010 10:42:12 AM

should i wait for i7 870 as it may take some time in my market to get it at $294 as this change in price latest

or i dont have to wait and go for i7 860? and is i5 750 completely out from the list?

thanks
m
l
July 22, 2010 1:00:59 PM

Between the 860 and the 870 you will not notice much difference.
m
l
July 22, 2010 2:10:20 PM

so this means i should not wait for 870 and go for i7 860?

and Mugz what are your comments about the HDD i mean which company HDD i should buy Seagate or WD?

and yes if i m gonna buy i7 860 and gigabyte p55m ud2 and 9800 GT then how much watt and which company psu do i need? and is it really ok to buy cooler master psu as corsair is a bit more costly and again i m saying if the quality diff is much more between these two then i can buy one with the superior quality
tell me the worth buy

u all say that it is a great board for i5 750
will this board work greatly also with i7 860?
or do i have to choose another board?

and please reply with the link of gt240 which has one slot

is there some diff between the performance of both one with single slot and other with 2 slot?

and for this graphic card do i have to change my choice of motherboard and i7 860?

please all of u i need reply to this msg from all of u especially el_bastardo74, Mugz, Wolfram, gordon_81 as u all are really helping me a lot

thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 22, 2010 2:24:28 PM

Literally half the GT 240s on Newegg are single slot...

As for PSU, there is a big difference between 450W and 750W. You don't need 750W tho for a GT240. IMO go with a Corsair 550VX as it's quite a bit cheaper than the 750TX.

Corsair is second to none in quality PSUs.

For the rest of it... seriously, do some of your own research... it's great to get advice but you keep asking the same questions. I wish you luck with it.
m
l
!