Recommended Timing settings for 9 GB DDR3 RAM?

mikeyr2002

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Hi I have a custom built system with the following:

Asus RAMPAGE II GENE Motherboard
Intel i7 920 Processor
Windows 7 64 Bit
Kingston 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Triple Channel Kit
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit

Totalling 9GB of RAM.

What are some recommended settings i could use to run my system at the fullest potential? The timing etc.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Michael

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Timing would be base on what your manufacturer recommends. However you mixed 2 different brand and different speed.

Optimal settings would be how far you can overclock the Kingston kit, at the tightest settings. However your Corsair kit may not like the Kingston timings.

It's best to not mix and match memory kits.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
That would be the safest route. However it doesn't mean that you can't optimize each kit.

Take out the Corsair kit, run your Kingston kit, at it's recommended speed and timings. Test for stability.

Take out the Kingston kit, Add the Corsair kit. Now try to run the Corsair kit at the timings you tested the Kingston kit at. Test for stability. If the Corsair kit can run at the speed and timings of the Kingston kit, then you can have both kit run optimally.

mikeyr2002

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
ok, can you tell me the best way to do that? how to set it to its recommended speed and timing, and how to test for stability?

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I don't know what motherboard you have, but timings and voltages are usually set in the BIOS. So you'd have to boot into the BIOS and look for the options to change it there.

You can use this tool CPU-Tweaker 1.1 to help you along with CPUz 1.51.

CPU Tweaker 1.1 download
CPUz 1.51 download

CPU tweaker allows you to make on the fly timing adjustment for various motherboards. The only thing you cannot change on the fly is the CAS latency. That has to be done in the BIOS.

Just want to add CPU Tweaker on the fly adjustments work with these boards only: From XS site.

INTEL Core i7 DDR3. Change timings on Core i7 CPU is possible with GygaByte, eVGA ,DFI and Biostar motherboards.
(Memory Configuration space are locked in the bios on others motherboards).

mikeyr2002

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
where can i find out wat to change the settings to? or am i just checking the default numbers for the kinston and then the corsair to see if they match?

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

Timings should be labeled on the memory modules or you can look it up from the manufacturer's web site.

In your BIOS under "Extreme Tweaker" page, look for "DRAM Timing Control". This page should have all the settings you need.

mikeyr2002

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
so i dont need to change anything? just make sure the timings match from the manufacturers website and in my BIOS? and thats fine?

mikeyr2002

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
so the timing for the kingston is 7-7-7-20
and the corsair is 9-9-9-24

but both run at 1.5V

is this going to be a problem? or can i keep them both at those rates?

Your first objective is to get all 9gb to work. Hopefully the default values will suffice. Try that first. I would expect the system to use the lowest common denominator of specs.

That is not all bad, since there is very little difference in real performance(fps, run times) with faster speeds, or better timings.

To test ram for stability, run memtest86+ for at least one full pass with zero errors.

Run cpu-z to get info about your ram and what timings and speed currently running.

TRENDING THREADS