Having trouble overclocking.

Maneens

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Hey guys, first off I'll list my computer specs (As well as some CPU-Z screenshots):

Motherboard - Asus P5K/EPU
Memory - 2GB DDR2 800
CPU - E8600 @ 3.33G GHz
CPU cooler - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Graphics - GTX 260

computerinfo.jpg

So I read the great posts here that have been stickied on overclocking however seeing as how everyone's motherboard/CPU/memory setup is different I'm running into some problems. :( I went into my BIOS and disabled the recommended things such as Intel Speedstep and manually set the CPU multiplier to 10. Now I understand that when you change the FSB speed, things such as your PCIe and memory will change with it so you need to set those manually so they don't go all out of whack.

I set the PCIe to 100, and then the memory I just set to manual and left the timings and whatnot as is; I noticed when I changed the FSB speed the memory speeds changed as welll (I have no experience with fiddling with memory timings so any help with that in regards to overclocking would be great!) Also, I know you're not supposed to surpass the frequency your memory is rated at, but I'm slightly confused as to how the FSB freq. translate over to that.

So after attempting to overclock, when I logged in to Windows the voltages all looked good and nothing too high, my idle temps were just fine...the only problems I was having was my core multiplier wasn't locked at 10 (it was actually sitting at 6, the lowest for my CPU) and looking at CPU-Z my memory settings looked different, both the timings as well as the FSB : DRAM divider.

Anyway, any help with this would be greatly appreciated! I can also post a couple pictures of my BIOS settings as there are a few options I'm not too sure if I should be modifying them or they're fine as is.

Maneens

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Yup, I've read that you should be disabling those; maybe my BIOS settings didn't save when I exited.

Do you have any advice in regards to the memory, I'm not 100% yet with modifying the timings and whatnot.

offender

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I am not too sure about your bios but I would manually control the memory

There should be a setting for the ram multiplier/divider.

This should have options like 2.00A 2.40B 2.66C 4.00D etc. etc.

These are multiplied by your FSB

e.g. FSB of 400 with a 2.00D divider = 800Mhz RAM (D=400 FSB option in my BIOS - so you try to match the letter with your FSB)

If you had an FSB of 360 and used a divider of 2.66B you would end up with a RAM speed of approx 960 (and the B on my motherboard is the option for a 333 FSB setting)

I would basically try to keep your RAM at stock speed or underclocked until you've reached the CPU frequency you want and then try to increase the divider until you get the memory speed you want.

So with my overclock I am increasing the CPU frequency but keeping the memory dividers so that my RAM is 800Mhz or less and I have the timings very loose at 5-5-5-18.