Sign in with
Your question

ran Chkdsk on a RAID 0

Last response: in Storage
July 24, 2010 3:38:17 AM

I didn't mean to, I tried to run it on my C drive. I have 4 other drives set as two separate RAID 0's = 6 TB. After Chkdsk ran, I could no longer access the drives. But they do show up still. In "my Computer" they show up as NTFS and will not allow me to access the drive when I double click. But when I go to Disk Management, there they are looking fine. Im also able to run a Adobe Premiere Pro file that contains video that is still on the raid drive, though it's very buggy. Is there any way to save these drives and get them working? I read that Chkdsk can destroy the striping. It's my entire company's work, and no, I didn't back it up. I never was able to in time. FUN!

INTEL|CORE I7 920 2.66G

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64x OEM

MEM 2Gx6|CORSAIR = 12GB RAM

MB GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 X58 RTL

4x 1.5TB SEAGATE HDD RAID 0

Thanks for any help..... :heink: 

More about : ran chkdsk raid

July 24, 2010 6:26:18 AM

one other thing. I just discovered I can go into the raid drives while in safe mode.
m
l
July 24, 2010 1:57:32 PM

Go in safe mode back up everything you can to an external drive asap. I would just recreate the RAID. This time use redundency and make it a mirrored RAID 1 if you data is that important. I would probably go with a RAID 5 though.

I'm not 100% positive but I think some RAID controllers have a 2TB limit so check into that as well.

m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2010 7:48:31 PM

xxsk8er101xx said:
Go in safe mode back up everything you can to an external drive asap. I would just recreate the RAID. This time use redundency and make it a mirrored RAID 1 if you data is that important. I would probably go with a RAID 5 though.

I'm not 100% positive but I think some RAID controllers have a 2TB limit so check into that as well.

In my case, I have been striping 2 1.5TB drives = 3TB raid storage, x 2 = 6TB of total space. Of course it is pretty much 80% filled so backing up what I can get is not going to be easy with that much storage.

Also, I use it for video editing, much of which is HD. These are huge video files I am pulling while I am editing video. RAID 5 is the best choice for this you think? I am not sure what other RAID options my MOBO is compatible with, I guess that will take a phone call or some quick researching.
m
l
July 24, 2010 8:06:02 PM

This is why striping is a BAD IDEA. Any parity errors and your data is gone. RAID 0 = BAD. The ONLY time you want RAID 0 is if you NEED speed AND the data isn't important.

I mean right now you're in a pretty big pickle. Because you're at a seroius risk of losing all your work right now. once a RAID is broken you can't recover the data. You just can't it's in all parity code so nothing can read it but your motherboard. You won't even be able to send it in for recovery.

In addition to that you can't remove your hard drives and pop in different drives. You'll wipe your data. You will have to buy a 6TB external storage NAS to back up your data. Or 6 1TB drives and move it in peices.

I think you need to realize the seriousness of your problem here.

kevincease said:
In my case, I have been striping 2 1.5TB drives = 3TB raid storage, x 2 = 6TB of total space. Of course it is pretty much 80% filled so backing up what I can get is not going to be easy with that much storage.

Also, I use it for video editing, much of which is HD. These are huge video files I am pulling while I am editing video. RAID 5 is the best choice for this you think? I am not sure what other RAID options my MOBO is compatible with, I guess that will take a phone call or some quick researching.

m
l
!