How long does it take to overclock

mmmcheese

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
hello
ive never overclocked and only just learning about it

In a society where time = money, how long does it take to overclock with stabilty?

Solution
If you want your computer to run and be at all reliable, stress testing is very important. You must ensure that your overclock is stable. Just do a bit at a time if you have a busy schedule. Make some changes, stress test, take a break. Repeat the following day until you reach the results that you were hoping for.

mmmcheese

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
im planning on getting a amd 955 and i am looking in overclocking how easy it is what sort of results ill get from how long. what sort of results can i get from spending 5 mins on it or do i really need to do stress testing and other tests?

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
If you want your computer to run and be at all reliable, stress testing is very important. You must ensure that your overclock is stable. Just do a bit at a time if you have a busy schedule. Make some changes, stress test, take a break. Repeat the following day until you reach the results that you were hoping for.

Solution

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
If time is money? Your going to need a stable OC to keep from crashing when important information is on-the-line.

If your just looking for a "set it and forget". Go into the BIOS Hard-set your CPU voltage to 1.4v (make sure you put the period in between the 1 and the 4). Set the CPU-Multiplier to 18x, and as Simon says "run Prime95" for an hour or 2 while monitoring temperature of the CPU. If it stays under 62C and doesn't crash, you have a easy 10% OC. If it exceeds 62C or crashes. You will have to go back to stock settings or take the time to learn how do OC the right way, which can take from weeks to years to master.

My recommendation: Take the time to learn it the right way. You will get to know your machine better, plus if something goes wrong you may be able to fix it yourself, not to mention the next time if/when you build a new computer you won't be totally lost all over again!!!

offender

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I'm still doing my first overclock. I installed a new CPU cooler on Thursday night & have slowly been stress testing/raising FSB/adjusting memory straps & dividers/adjusting MCH, CPU and DDR voltage ever since with lots of prime95 + unigine heaven stress testing overnight & during the day.

So that's like 4+ days for me! But I am cautious.

I have got to a 35% overclock on the CPU/FSB and just over 10% overclock on the RAM (though it is rated for more).

So far I have had one blue screen and two failures of prime95 through testing 15 different groups of BIOS settings.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Sounds like your going about it the right way.

Familiarize yourself with where the jumper-pins for clearing the CMOS are (it's in your MB manual) just in case it doesn't boot after trying a new setting.

As always keep an eye on temps.

PS: Be careful because.... BAM!!!
Your hooked, and the next thing you know, you will be up-grading or building-over from the ground up, just to do it all over again. LMAO

mmmcheese

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

35% that sounds very good