How do I change RAM speed manually in BIOS?

strangequark

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I bought the G.SKILL 6GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) for my core i7 920 system with the asus p6t deluxe v2 motherboard.

I came across posts about having to change the RAM speed manually to 1600 in the BIOS so that the BIOS has the correct speed of my RAM, but I don't remember where I saw the information.

How do I change the RAM speed?

I don't know anything specific about BIOS, so I don't know what terminology I am looking for when I am in BIOS.

Thanks

Duesouth

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
you can Google "ask the ram guy." a forum

change or modify or overclocking or down clocking your bios setup can damage your motherboard and hardware.

press repeatably the deleted key weh you turn on your pc. it will bring you to the bios setup.

go to AI overclock Tweaker tab

Ai Overclock tuner = manual
cpu ratio = got to be setup in accordance to the spec
fsb frequency =got to be setup in accordance to the spec for the cpu
fsb strap to northbridge= got to be setup in accordance to the spec you want to run your pc at

dram frequency = by playing with the fsb,cpu ratio, to get it to what you want
dram timing control = very important to get it right

then once back to os run cpuz

and head over to memory to check the dram frequency

dram frequency 400 = 800 mhs 533 = 1066
you must set the clock and voltage the correct setting to make this work

all of the settings in the bios are a risky business to play with if you do not know what you are doing. if you do not know what you are doing you might need to flip your battery on the motherboard to reset the bios. improper setting can or will cause permanent damage to anything it is connect to. mother cpu ram hard drive video card lan audio pcie might be burn... adjust at you own risk or go see professional help.

best thing to do is to get the store to do the installation.
and the motherboard can be picky on which ram it will accepted.
ie my board is a p5q-em not friendly to mushkin. so I install a twin dominator corsair 4 gig kit 2 x 4 for a total of 8gigs
dram voltage ad nb voltage also had to be played with to get this ram properly set.

the motherboard by default settings view it only at 800 mhs and not 1066 ddr2.

anyways my advice is to get professional help. playing around with the bios is like playing an experiment on pc. you never know what can happen. ie I went threw 3 power supply. from 550 watts to 1250watts. before I found a stable power supply for my overclock pc.

later