sheetfilm

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I recently purchased a HP Pro 3130 (Intel i5 3.2GHz 4G RAM) Microtower with Windows 7 Pro installed. (Runs Fine - not particularly fond of 7)
I removed the power and SATA cable from the hard drive and plugged them into a newly
partitioned (primary and multiple logical partitions) 500GB Western Digital drive mounted next to the original drive.
Using Windows XP I'm trying to install a new OS on this system.
Windows Setup loads files and then I get a Stop Error Screen:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time...
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

This is as far as I have been able to progress... any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated. I would like to run this as an XP system rather than Windows 7.
TIA

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Not all hardware is compatible with all OS types. I know it's MSW but this is the blue screen error that the OS will throw on install. You can try and run F6 installing XP drivers for SCSI for your SATA, if HP provides you those. Otherwise, welcome to Lindows Cow 7. You need to make sure HW is multi-system compatible at vendor before purchasing PC. Custom built generic is more likely to be compatible than the big names, they are interested in selling the latest OS.

sheetfilm

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Solution for new HDD and installation of Xp on HP 3130.
In BIOS Advanced, change SATA Controller Mode from AHCI to IDE.

If you later want to switch back to the original drive with Windows 7, change the BIOS back to AHCI.

I will try installing SATA drivers in Xp, (now that it is installed), and see if that will let me swap drives without having to change to IDE.