Sign in with
Your question

Which is a better buy? acer 4736z or acer 4736

Last response: in Motherboards
June 14, 2009 5:23:25 AM

I am planning to get a new laptop. Till now I was using Lenovo R60. But I am pretty confused about the model I should get.
Acer 4736 has two versions. One without 'z' and the other with 'z'.

Acer Aspire 4736

Processor & Chipset

Intel® Core™2 Duo processor T6400 (2 MB L2 cache, 2 GHz, 800 MHz, 35 W), supporting Intel® 64 architecture
Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset

Memory

3 GB DDR3 1067 MHz; Upgradeable to 4 GB

HDD

320 GB HDD S-ATA Hard Disk Drive

Acer Aspire 4736z

Processor & Chipset

Intel® Pentium® mobile processor T4200 (1 MB L2 cache, 2 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 35 W), or T3400 (1 MB L2 Cache, 2.16 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 35 W), supporting Intel® 64 architecture
Mobile Intel® GL40 Express Chipset

Memory

2GB Dual-channel DDR3 SDRAM support
Up to 4 GB of DDR3 1066 MHz memory using two soDIMM modules

HDD

320GB SATA Hard Disk Drive

Apart from the difference in processor, the only other difference I noticed was the price. 'z' model is cheaper.

I would like to know which one is a better buy. 'z' model is cheaper by more than 10%.

As far as I know core2 duo is faster, runs on lower voltage and heats up less. (correct me if I am wrong)

But still are the advantages of 'core2 duo' over 'dual core' are significant enough ?

As of the usage. I am student of Engineering (Electronics and Communication). Will be graduating next year, i.e. 2010. I am not much into gaming but I do play games occasionally.
June 14, 2009 5:38:06 AM

Well even at a 10% price increase, without a doubt go for the core 2 duo. Yes there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between those two CPU's. You will be happy you have the extra horse power.

Also, have you researched the reliability of this laptop. From my experience in a tech shop, Acer has turned out to be a pretty cheap brand (in price and quality). I'm not saying this particular laptop is bad, but at least keep that in mind when researching.
June 14, 2009 6:53:48 AM

helios2052 said:
Well even at a 10% price increase, without a doubt go for the core 2 duo. Yes there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between those two CPU's. You will be happy you have the extra horse power.

Also, have you researched the reliability of this laptop. From my experience in a tech shop, Acer has turned out to be a pretty cheap brand (in price and quality). I'm not saying this particular laptop is bad, but at least keep that in mind when researching.

Thanks helios for the reply.

Yeah. I have kind of searched about the reliability of 'Acer' as a brand. My friend is using one. He doesn't seem to have any problem. Beside cost is a factor to me right now. though I can spend a few extra bucks if needed.

Beside what about the RAM? how does DDR3 compares with DDR2?
Related resources
June 14, 2009 7:04:55 AM

And since I haven't yet bought any of the above laptops, I am open to any other suggestion. If you guys can suggest any other laptop with similar features and comparable price.

For reference, Acer 4736 and 4736z costs around Rs 33000 and Rs 30000 respectively here in INDIA .
which comes to around 632.25$ (U.S. Dollars) for 4736 and 695.47500$ (U.S. Dollars) for 4737z.
June 14, 2009 12:43:11 PM

I don't think you will notice much of an improvement on ddr3 vs ddr2, but of course the ddr3 is technically superior, so go with that. (also more expensive to upgrade). As long as the reviews are good on these laptops, I would definitely buy the first one.
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2009 2:50:27 PM

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto.do

This is better, but's an HP for less than what u have but slightly better, and alot more reliable. And it's 64 bit so u can upgrade the RAM to around 8 gigs. And ii's DDR2 which won't make much of a difference for u since u don't game a lot.
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2009 2:53:05 PM

sorry the laptop link i just posted won't work so just go to the DV6 series at hp.com and customize what u want.

This is what i did:

AMD Athlonx2 2.1 ghz
3 gig RAM
250 gig HDD
ATI Radeon HD3200 graphics
normal cd/DVD drive
n-card wireless
June 14, 2009 4:41:59 PM

My friend brought a Acer laptop for me to fix, half the keyboard was toast and the screen kept going blank. He now has a Dell but I dunno if its better of not.......
June 14, 2009 7:03:14 PM

I would stat away from the HP DV series laptops also. They have had a remarkably high motherboard fail rate. We get at least 3-4 in the shop per day with dead motherboards (unless this issue has been fixed in the current model, but not to my knowledge).
June 14, 2009 8:55:28 PM

helios2052 said:
I would stat away from the HP DV series laptops also. They have had a remarkably high motherboard fail rate. We get at least 3-4 in the shop per day with dead motherboards (unless this issue has been fixed in the current model, but not to my knowledge).

I guess I will go for the core2 duo model of acer then.

Beside how about an AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor ?

how does it compare with its intel's counterpart or even core2 duo?
June 14, 2009 10:50:05 PM

Well the Turion processors are the mobile versions of the Athlon X2. The dual core Turion X2 chips will be comparable to the Pentium dual-cores. They are usually within 5% of each other, depending on model.

The Core 2 Duo is going to wipe the floor with both the X2 and the Pentium Dual Core. I would go ahead and get the Core 2 Duo Acer like you said. It is a very good price. Good Luck!
June 15, 2009 2:01:21 AM

Core 2 Duo beats out those AMD Turion X2's entirely. The most common Turion X2 in the price range of most of the Core2Duo T6400's is the Turion X2-72 I think. And it's way behind the C2D.

The T6400 is a pretty decent CPU :) 

Only thing those laptops you're looking at won't do, is gaming. I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 6935 (?) laptop that I really did like, however with the Intel integrated graphics, it hardly played C&C3:Tiberium Wars.

I ultimately returned that laptop to Costco because I realized I wouldn't actually use it, since 90% of my computer usage is for gaming. :) 
June 15, 2009 5:50:51 AM

I actually am facing a similar choice! Two Dell Inspiron 15 build options: comes with T4200 Dual Core, but can upgrade for $35 more has T6400 Dual2Core. From what you've said it seems obvious to choose the latter. (Though I am confused: Why does the latter "beat the pants" off the former, when they're both 2.0 hz, 800 mhz?)

How about the 3 or 4 mb of RAM? I always used to assume you should max out the RAM, but is that still true in today's lap tops with vista/xp? The computer will mostly be used for email/word processing and some surfing.
June 17, 2009 3:55:27 PM

Hi,I m using Acer Aspire 4736z for last 10days and i pretty happy with my new laptop.It comes with T4200 processor(45nm,800 bus,2 Ghz),GL40,160GB,2GB DDR3.Performence very very good.It heat very little,always below 50 centregrate.I use everest ultimate edition for bench marking and result very impressive.Sound quality very good but not loud enough.my previous acer and toshiba laptop heats very much,may be due to celeron processor.But this is very cool
Lastly i wanna tell about T4200.it has 410 million trangistor besides T3400 & T6400 both 291 million.see yourself http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37251
So my opinion acer 4736z best laptop for this price range
sorrry for my bad english
June 20, 2009 4:05:37 PM

just get the aspire 4736, it cames with bigger hard disk capacity n better processor. besides that one also has bluetooth integrated.. pay little more 4 ur satisfaction
June 29, 2009 11:26:46 AM

im actually using the acer 4736z for almost a week now and so far im enjoying it, i installed windows 7 rc version and it's meeting my expectations,
so far it doesnt heat up a lot despite me working for 5 hours straight, hehehe
July 3, 2009 2:14:42 AM

Hi helios, I was looking at Acer 4736z and comparing it to toshiba L500 and It was same price 599$ cnd here in canada. The only difference was the 70GIG more with acer and toshiba has a numerical keypad. I like acers model but toshiba sounded like a trustworthy choice. What do you think . Is their a way you can email me at kiddish1234@yahoo.ca for your experience. I am also a hardware tech (or used to be) I currently work for CSC (computer science corp) csc.com and Im an anlayst
July 14, 2009 9:25:16 PM

helios2052 said:

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Compaq CQ60-420US which is a Dual Core T4200, Do you know if this one also has the same issues with the motherboard? I've seen a few issues from users having problems with theAtheros Wireless card dropping the connection.

My other choice would be to go with a Toshiba L305-S5946 which is $ 150.00 more, has a Core 2 Duo T6400 and Centrino Chipset platform with Intel Wifi a/g/n. Both systems have 3GB of RAM and 250GB HDD.

Thanks,

September 11, 2009 11:51:12 AM

im planning to buy an Aspire 4736 C2D “P7350″ 2gb DDR2 320GB HDD… at ACER-CYBERZONE MEGAMALL but i was so confused about the other stores selling the same Acer laptop 4736 P7350 but has different memory. ACER store has 2gb DDR2 but those other stores im mentioning were selling 2gb DDR3… im confused when i ask the ACER why they dont have DDR3 in 4736 P7350 model… but Acer just told me that they doubt it if those shops im telling to them has DDR3. They were challenging me to go to those stores claiming they have DDR3 to really open the laptop so i can really see if they’re telling the truth..
i asked 4 stores in cyberzone and their 4736 P7350 C2D has DDR3
but the ACER itself dont carry the DDR3 in the said laptop
very confusing right?

*ACER also mentioned that there is a global shortage of DDR3

*One Technician from other shop told me that DDR3 is not yet compatible for ACER 4736 P7350 because it heats easily. Thats why ACER itself dont carry it anymore OR changed the DDR3 to DDR2.

So with your experience in the laptop world
what can you say about this?
is it really true that there is a shortage
or theres a problem in DDR3 for the said laptop?

hope you could help me decide..
thanks and God bless you :) 
September 23, 2009 10:19:40 AM

Hi;
Well I'm also using the acer 4736z for about 4 months now & its beyond my expectations.....really cool
September 26, 2009 1:21:33 PM

I got one of this Acer laptop and am very happy with its performance. I got my unit from Mall of Asia and luckily it was a sale day all over the mall. The shop gave me another extra 2Gb memory for free.. Yes its running DDR2. I got it last week and tested it for a couple of days.. When I checked my LCD for any defects i found a dead pixel. So went back to the store and they replaced it with another one. Well I have the new one for 2 days already and the performance seems to be similar to the first one...

Am running it with Windows 7 .. it seems to be doing great with this OS. although the video chips are not for gamers. at 4Gb ram.. the video shared 1.3gb of memory which kinda made it kinda good enough for my simulator gaming.....

September 27, 2009 4:23:19 PM

I just bought an ACER 4736-732G32Mn today at Festival Mall in Alabang. The price I got it for was P34,500 PHP / $1037 USD. Was the price fair? They gave me a free 4 Gb Memory upgrade, Creative Speakers worth P1800 PHP and an ACER laptop bag. Together w/ that they're giving me a CD,w/c apparently will allow me to have an OS and Mocrosoft Office that is registered but it's just am not the registered owner. Does that sound pirated to you? I just want to know if what I got was a good deal. I got this at a deal of zero percent interest, 12 monthly installments. Specs of my laptop:
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo processor P7350
LCD - 14.0" HD Acer CineCrystal(TM) LED CD
RAM - 2 GB Memory
HDD - 320 GB Memory
Optical - DVD-Super Multi DL Drive
Modem - 56K Modem
LAN - Giga Lan (What does this mean?)
Wireless - 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N WLAN (What is this for?)
SoftLoad - Linpus Linux (What is this for as well?)
WWAN - NO (What does this mean?)
Bluetooth - YES
Has 4 USB Ports
Has HDMI Port
Dolby Digital Home Theater Sticker

One thing, never did it mention whether mine is a DDR2 or DDR3. What do u guys think mine has? Pls, I know a techie is reading this. Pls tell me honestly what I can expect w/ this PC. Will this be good for gaming as well? Guy at the store told me after the 4 Gb upgrade, it will now be good for gaming.
October 27, 2009 8:18:35 AM

I am also thinking of buying acer 4736. It is really working fine for many. My only concern is its keyboard. There is huge space between keys and with bottom so if mistakenly something like sugar, little pieces of snacks goes in there how could I remove them?
Sony has nice keyboard where there is no space between keys and bottom so it work well all the time. Also, dust is another factor to consider when there is lot of free space in keyboard. What do you think? Thanks and God bless

www.directsaurabh.co.cc
October 28, 2009 7:48:34 AM

i'm very satisfied w/ the acer 4736 that i bought. it's living up to all of my expectations. downloads now are a breeze. If you're worried abt dirt getting in betwwen the keyboards, there's always a keyboard brush that you can buy. also, a must buy will be a cooling pad and a mouse. A mouse just saves you time browsing thru websites. Acer is known to heat up so a cooling pad really is a must. My ACER is plugged 8 hours or more a day. I took out the battery so it's always been operating just plugged to the electrical socket. Make sure when you use your battery, to always drain it through before charging it back again.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2009 4:58:00 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your sugessions and at last i have planed to buy a Acer aspire 4736 and seems like an economical one as well as good quality....

Will get back with my personal review after the usage....

Thanks
VJ
November 30, 2009 12:26:39 AM

Yup up to now, still very satisfied. One regret though...I never get to bring out my ACER outside the house for fear of it being stolen while inside my car or some low life person holding me up. Had I known this will be the situation, I should've bought myself a much higher quality desktop for that price. Am not complaining about my ACER. It has and still is exceeding my expectations it's just the thought of owing a much faster and powerful cpu in a desktop w/c salivates me no end.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2009 8:35:23 AM

roberick said:
I'm also buying the AcerAspire 4736z-732G32Mn

According to acer and the store, this model contains 2GB DDR2-667 RAM.

http://www.villman.com.ph/Product-Detail/AcerAspire_473...

bro,

i see you're from PH, you mind telling me how much the 4736z costs over there? i'm in KL right now and the 4736z goes for about USD 560... if it's cheaper here, i might just grab one...

thanks bro,
alvin
December 8, 2009 11:15:31 PM

The 4736 I bought is around $730 USD here in the Philippines. Mind you it's 4736 not 4736z.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 13, 2009 9:45:34 PM

Bornagain
I am looking at laptops and having read through all the messages from yourself and others, have decided that going with what you have found would be best.
I am therefore asking where you are buying yours? since you said they where giving you a free upgrade from 3gb to 4gb Ram, as well as how much you have been quoted for this.
Thanks for your help.
December 13, 2009 10:45:46 PM

If you're in the Philippines, I bought mine at Accent Micro in Festival Mall, Alabang. Before you buy, make sure battery is not one of your concerns. Because definitely, the Battery of the ACER 4736 laptop is a failure. It only give you 2 hours of access. That's why mine, I just removed the battery then stored it away. My laptop is just plugged into the electricity socket all the time. Battery aside, the laptop is great. If you're not buying this brand anymore, make sure the one that you get has an HDMI port. Since I watch a lot of movies, this is the most important feature why I decided to get this laptop.
December 14, 2009 3:21:34 PM

Hi,
I have bought Acer Laptop 4736 - S. No. lxpg40c0279292d4f21601 (on 14th Oct, 2009 from Micro Sun, super bazaar, Moradabad). Within a week, it was not booting. After 2 hour, it started normally.
I was embarrassed when I had to give important presentation. It was not starting. Any how I managed and after few hours it started normally. I called up (3rd November) customer care and they asked to visit service centre. At service centre (Ghaziabad), they said that motherboard had some problem. Service centre collected my laptop. I kept following up with service centre for next 22 days. At last they received motherboard from Bangalore and replaced (25th November, 2009) the same. Next day it was not showing any sign of life. It was completely silent. Again I had contacted to service centre, they expressed same problem. I again asked customer care. This time reply was same… ‘Our service centre would take care’. I asked to replace this laptop (Acer Laptop 4736) as it had manufacturing defect. But customer care and service centre both denied and told that they are helpless. They could only provide warranty.
After all this I searched email ids of Acer people on the internet. Few ids were ail_easycare@acer.co.in, mahesh_kulkarni@acer.co.in, wsmukund@acer.co.in, Sanjay_gupta@acer.co.in, shankar_b@acer.co.in). I got response that somebody would connect me. After two days, I was asked to send contact details. I shared through mail. Nobody contacted me next day. After that I marked CC to Jai Shankar, Director Sales, Acer India (sudhir_goel@acer.co.in) and Sudhir Goel, GM, Acer India (jai_shankar@acer.co.in). Now Customer care Manager Head Mr. Amrish Mahajan (Amrish_Mahajan@acer.co.in) contacted me. I simply requested to return full amount with a letter stating that ’Acer was unable to provide defect free product and service’. They offered me to replace Laptop with one month of extended warranty. I refused to this and asked my money back with apology letter or replace laptop with compensation as my brother had faced problem. He is an MBA student and it was basically purchased for his study. He missed few presentations and that was big loss. At last, Acer returned (12th Dec, 2009) the money without any Apology letter and took back laptop (Acer Laptop 4736).
This shows there lethargic and disgusting approach. Acer people don’t support their customer and when they caught with mistakes, they simply escape. You would be tortured mentally and physically. Now I hope this cheque would be realized. I would suggest – Do not buy Acer Products. I have shared the mail ids so that if anybody facing such problem can use these ids.
If some responsible Acer people read this review, kindly think upon that how would you survive with such product, service and behavior?

Regards,
Rajeev Misra
December 14, 2009 11:49:30 PM

Yup, what an unfortunate experience it was. Let's just say that in the field of manufacturing, somewhere along the production line, a lemon will really surface. your experience is not new. Companies will deny you the opportunity for a brand new replacement if you ask for it. I commend you for never giving up and excercising your rights. I can't blame you for feeling that way against ACER products but simply what you got was a lemon. My ACER is still working great. For the price I paid, am getting every penny was worth it.
December 16, 2009 9:18:50 AM

Thats good. I wish that u need not visit service centre
April 17, 2010 10:19:06 AM

In india, Acer company is very much popular for its products. it has given lots of emphasis on innovation. The Product of Acer has user friendly interface which is the most important reason for its popularity. Among all the products of Acer, the laptop is best. I am going to talk about the Acer aspire laptop with the model no 8930. Really it has the great experienced with full HD video and five speaker. it has been make suitable for both home and work. its size, work, function, features etc are awesome. it has been added with the Dolby Home theater audio enhancement which gives the complement of the oustanding visual experience. The Acer aspire 8930 has the intel centrino processor technology and is fully packed entertainment notebook. Its price in india is between Rs. 35,000 to 80,000. You should have a look on it and on its features.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2010 1:54:44 PM

manji said:
Hi;
Well I'm also using the acer 4736z for about 4 months now & its beyond my expectations.....really cool

hi, is there any problem when u play games on the laptop ? because i am planning to get one, and will play game into it, but will not be too often. thanks...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2010 1:08:43 PM

You got your money back, what more do you want?! :)  Not sure other brands would even go this far..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2010 3:10:00 PM

have u play any game in the laptop ? if yes,is it often u play game in the laptop ? because im interested in game like left4dead, and warcraft.
June 7, 2010 8:56:14 AM

Does acer aspire 4736z support for memory DDR3 PC1067 ?
I use 1 Gb DDR3 PC1067 Transcend Chipset...when i play game always error memory module cannot write?
anyone can help me?
please email me at w11ng@yahoo.com.thx.
July 1, 2010 1:22:55 PM

ip_address said:
im actually using the acer 4736z for almost a week now and so far im enjoying it, i installed windows 7 rc version and it's meeting my expectations,
so far it doesnt heat up a lot despite me working for 5 hours straight, hehehe

5 hours?? I do 15 hour days. In my XPS1530: I could cook eggs, well almost :( 
I am looking at Acer 4736z and worried about heating.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 2, 2010 7:02:33 AM

Well i got my acer 4736z last year on 14 nov at 31.5 k. but goin over acer was my worst decision ever. Am not buying any of acer product in future and would recommend others the same. My laptop now already spent about 60-70 days at the servicing center twice within a year, and the best part is when i got my laptop from the servicing center after 28 days now 1 of the usb port is not working. A very big thanks to the acer team for there wonderful works and for making me write these comments out here.
April 9, 2011 9:35:40 AM

hi.i am new here in toms..i also using acer aspire 4736z for more than a year now and so far i do not encounter any major problems.. everyday i'm started using it on morning straight until evening,its more than 12 hours of usage a day.my only suggestion is choose an os that is win 7.bec. mine is vista home & some applications like aero theme is not compatible with it. cheap laptop with nice performance.
!