Sign in with
Your question

OCing E6750 - Halp?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 18, 2010 1:37:15 AM

I've never done any OCing before. I read the guide about OCing Core 2 Duo but I'm having issues.

These are my specs:
Asus P5N-E Sli
E6750 @ stock with very poorly installed(I'm the best in history :D ) Scythe Mugen 2(I had no idea what I was getting myself into when installing this...they should provide you with an installation jig or something. Or tell you that you're going to have to get creative)
EVGA 768mb 460 GTX
4 GB of OCZ DDR2 @ 800 MHz(The RAM looks like it could be OCZ gold. I realize that the specific name would be good but I bought the majority of the stuff in this computer already assembled way back when. It might be OCZ platinum though...). I think it's this: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_gold_gx_xtc_dual_channel but it could be this: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_vista_performance_platinum_4gb_dual_channel. I can't find a flashlight to look right now and guess whether it's Pt or gold(it's dark and the light in my room sucks) and the Scythe Mugen covers the stick that I know I've seen a sticker on
Corsair TX-750(Yes I know it's overkill. Don't laugh :[ I wanted to leave the option of SLI open and this is the smallest good brand I could find with 4 6-pin connectors)

A lot of stuff was on auto when I went into the BIOS. CPU-Z told me my core voltage was 1.376 so I chose 1.375 which looked like the closest(it was on auto before). I thought I had OCZ gold so I set my timings to 5-5-5-18 and left the mem voltage on auto(1.8 V didn't show up for some reason). The FSB(QDR) was set at 1333 MHz when I got into the bios. I wanted to just OC the processor to 3.2 GHz for now because I read somewhere that I couldn't go much past 400 MHz real FSB on this mobo so this kind of confused me. Then I remembered that my processor is at 2.66 GHz so I thought that that 1333 MHz would needed to be pushed to 1600 MHz to get to 3.2 GHz core. I decided to go slowly so I set it to 1370 to start. I went at a 1 to 1 ratio because I was aiming for 400 MHz FSB and the Guide said that 1:1 400 MHz FSB = 800 MHz DRAM.

PCIE F was at 100 MHz. I turned off speed step, vanderpol, C1E and turned on CPU internal thermal control. I left CPU spread spectrum on auto and PCIE spread spectrum on downspread(what do those do?).

I saved my settings, rebooted and got a single constant beep, which corresponds to a DRAM error. The stupid settings didn't get reset when they got botched(like ASUS said they would) so I had to clear the RTC(that battery sucked to get out...I was afraid I was going to slip and break something). And here I am now. What am I doing wrong? I didn't damage my memory, did I?

I've never done any OCing before so that's why I'm here :pt1cable: 

I plan to take my 460 GTX to 800 core(Idk about the memory, but they guy at the store told me to not go over 4k). How high would I have to take my E6750 to not bottleneck it? Could that be done on this mobo(I was told that this mobo has a POS FSB)?

More about : ocing e6750 halp

July 19, 2010 3:58:26 AM

Mkay, update. I found out that I shouldn't link the mem and cpu in the bios. I have them unlinked, FSB(QDR) set to 1600(3.2 GHz) and the mem set to 800 MHz. I can POST and get into Windows! But I'm not stable. I originally guessed at 1.35 V for my Vcore. Prime95 almost instantly failed on both threads with FATAL ERROR: Roudning was 0.5, expected less than 0.4. Not knowing what to do I started increasing the voltage. I went to 1.35625 and found that it would get that same error fairly quickly, but on only one of the threads, and the other would continue merrily on. I decided that it might go away if I increase the voltage, seeing as one went away with one change, and I decided I would keep increasing until 1.4 V. It continued to do the same thing until I hit 1.4 V. Now, it will continue on both threads and then fail on one of them after about 2 minutes.

Do I just need to keep upping the voltage? Seeing as this isn't that big of an overclock I didn't think I'd need a ton of voltage(A guide on Overclockers says that 1.2-1.3 is good for 400 MHz FSB..or is that different than VTT?). Or is something else afoot? Could it be a memory problem? Could it be that my mobo just sucks?

Also: My temps haven't gone past 50 C on any of these tests
m
l
July 20, 2010 12:44:03 AM

:(  You guys are making me a sad panda. I ran memtest to see if the memory was having issues. I did two passes with no errors(took about 1.5 hours).

I'm still getting round errors near the end of test 1 or near the beginning of test 2 on only one of the threads. Do I need more voltage? I'm really not sure where to go with this
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2010 9:25:40 AM

First, look at the FSB multiplier, that's what you're looking to get up to 400. (To get to your 3.2GHz). I have a Gigabyte P31-S3G on my e6750 machine with 2GB Corsair DDR2 Dominator 800 MHz memory. For starters you may want to ONLY try raising the multiplier. If you take it one step at a time you should be able to narrow down what you're doing wrong. Also, start with small steps at that. It may require more frequent restarts, however, if this is your first time overclocking, it will work better for you to fully understand exactly what each number means. My e6750 is running at 3.4GHz and it's rock solid even at stock voltages. I've raised voltage in the past but it's not necessary so I leave it stock.
My primary machine is running a q6600 with 4GB Corsair DDR2 800 (Awaiting Dominator 1066, 8GB!) That machine unfortunately runs at stock speeds. The 1333MHz FSB on the C2D makes all the difference in the world! I'm looking to upgrade to the q9550 as a last ditch effort to make my current machine get me through schooling. Plus the q9550 can out preform most i7's with minimal overclocking at a fraction of the cost.

Hope some of that helped. I don't have all the technical jargon to go along with overclocking. More often than not, those asking how don't want to hear all the technicalities regarding it; that's why they are asking for help. I am also not the be-all-end-all in overclocking. I know what I have done but I don't know everything, not even close. Thank You.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
August 15, 2010 5:28:00 PM

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend. If you have a hard time finding a good guide, look for a 680i overclocking guide. The 750i is the same as the 600i chipset except for being modified to be compatible with the 45 nm C2Q's.

You have the right idea with your memory frequencies. Keep the FSB:RAM ratio at 1:1.

Here's where you may run into problems. For overclocking purposes, I think you have a lemon of a CPU. Your CPU VID (that's sort of the "stock" voltage for your CPU) is right at the top of the operating range for your CPU. That means that you do not have much room to increase your CPU voltage.

The E6750 is a 65 nm CPU, so I think Intel's max recommended voltage is 1.5 volts. At any rate, keep your core temps under 70 C.

m
l
!