C drive full how can I extend without losing data on d partition

You cannot do both.

If you have a single physical drive divided into 2 partitions, the only way to extend one is to shrink the other.

I have never lost data with Partition Magic, but to be safe, you should back up all data before using it.

surgeon

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Sorry jsc, I still sit with the problem. The C drive is right up against the D drive. I have an external USB drive but Partition magic does not seem to pick it up otherwise I could transfer my D drive to the external drive whilst I sorted out my main drive.

Dave.

If you have only data files, not programs on the D drive, just copy all of the contents over to the external drive, expand C:, and copy the files back to D:. You will need to make sure you don't have any linked data on D: though such as a page file or program installations and/or settings.

surgeon

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Thank you, but is there some way I can get P.P. to recognise my external USB drive. I do have some programs on the D partition. My second hard drive I use for a special project so i cannot use this one

Dave.

If you have programs installed on the D: drive you can't just move them, it's the same issue if you just copy the data to an external drive. The path is set in the registry and the programs will fail to run.

To just copy the files though, select them all, hit Ctrl-C, click on the E drive and hit Ctrl-V

Have you checked if you can free any space on the C drive by deleting TEMP files, maybe moving the swap file over? I don't like partitioning a single drive into multiple drives for this exact reason, almost every single time you end up needing more space than what you planned for.

surgeon

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
What's your OS? In windows 7/2008/VISTA the built-in Disk Management could help you extend C drive when there's some free space behind it, or you could not increase it. And you could also use some third-party partition software sun as : Gpard, Disk Director or Partition Assisatnt. Here, you could refer to this article about "how to extend C drive"
http://www.partition-magic.org/server/increase-free-disk-space-in-c-drive.html

Thank you michaeljj,

thanks for the information.

Surgeon