Hey guys, I'm new to most of this. Here's what I'm running:

890gpa-ud3h
955 x4 be
2x2 blue ripjaw 1600 ddr3
600gb wd caviar black
550W ultra lsp
ultra x-blaster
2x 120mm fans

Runs great, powered right up. First thing I did was tweak the RAM to run at 1600mhz with 8-8-8-24 timings -- ran memtest86 and no problems. Then, started inching my way up with the CPU and hit 3600 stable, cpu temps at about 55-57.. system temps at 37. I didn't change the frequency, but I did overclock the NB to 2200mhz according to AMD's recommended ratio. Is 57 too hot? And also, I'm planning on getting an aftermarket cooler soon obviously, and probably a 5770 hawk. Will I need to upgrade my PSU?

Other than that, how does this setup look? Any improvements, or recommendations I could adhere to?

Thanks in advance!
3 answers Last reply
More about 955be overclocked stock cooler
  1. Should be okay, Ultra aren't that bad and the 5770 isn't really power hungry like some other cards.

57c doesn't have to be too hot.. I would assume that stock fan is running pretty loud though :)

AMD recommends not running that CPU at above 62c, so anything up to that should be fine

edit: that is 57c under load and not idle, right? :p
  2. Ha. Yes, 57c under load. It runs about 39-41 idle. And the fan was really loud at first, however it's pretty quiet now. Maybe it just had to be broken in -- I'm not sure. I was really trying to get my RAM to cas7, but anything below 8 and it won't boot. I've looked around, and apparently that's quite normal. 8-8-8-24 is still pretty good for 1600 though, right?
  3. I have to say, I wouldn't run my CPU @ 57C. I would get another cooler quickly, in the meantime back off to 3.4 Ghz.
    What Voltage is your cpu at?
    Those timings look fine.

That PSU has a single +12V rail at 30 amps. Should be fine for a single HD 5770.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking