Sign in with
Your question

Vista buged start

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2009 1:30:35 PM

Had this build working without this happening at least 3 months. Restarted computer and then BSOD from Vista64 Premium. Every time I started it would BSOD. I tried the installation disk for a repair and got the same BSOD after it loaded Windows files. I used WinXP to wipe the hard drive clean, 2 other drives as well to determine hardware failure, after installing Vista64. The error still showed after nothing was on the drives.

Magically after several restarts, this is what seems to fix the problem, I got a Vista install. Now I must restart the computer several times to get into Windows.

Anybody had this happen?
Dang! :pfff: 

More about : vista buged start

January 21, 2009 1:36:10 PM

BSOD's are often caused by RAM problems. You'll probably get more meaningful help if you post your computers specs. Did you manually set the RAM timings and voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS? Have you run memtest86+ for a few hours to test for RAM errors? Did you recently install new software or hardware?
January 22, 2009 1:28:09 PM

I am unable to burn a working Memtest86+ image to any cd from 2 computers that burn.
I have Foxconn A7DA-S with 2x2gb of Corsair Dominator 8500 C5 @ 1066 /w 2.1+ volts and 5-5-5-15-22 command rate 2T; PC Power Cooling 500watt 35amp 12+ PSU, AMD 9950 processor, ATI Radeon 4830 video card, Samsung Spinpoint F1 hard drive (tried 2 of the same hard drive also a solid state).
I have recently begun to deal with this random working start up. I have run Windows Memory Diagnostic that comes with Vista and it runs fine with the settings I use but not anything under 2.1 volts for 1066mhz. Tried booting with 800mhz default voltage and timings Vista booted and I restarted and the same BSOD showed.

I am on this cimputer with the BSOD right now after playing Bioshock, TF2, Left4Dead, blah without any problems! If I leave it running and not turn it off it's fine. I am afraid to put it in sleep mode because my audio does not always come back.
Related resources
January 22, 2009 1:49:30 PM

I used Service Pack 1 to install on an empty Hard drive but I cannot remember if the BSOD happened before installing and after. There should not be an issue with 3gigs of ram and more.
Although I had been running this config for months without a hitch Hybrid Crossfire with a 3470 and 3300 integrated graphics would freeze.
January 22, 2009 2:17:11 PM

I get infinite loops of restarts for Vista booting until it randomly boots into Windows.
It would not be a problem if it would just boot Windows the first time not after several restarts!
January 22, 2009 2:20:11 PM

This still sounds like a RAM issue. How are you trying to burn the memtest86+ image? You need to use burning software that will burn the ISO image. You can also use a thumb drive if you can't get a CD to work.
January 22, 2009 3:44:10 PM

I have tried http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm and it fails each time.
I have a disc that shows an image of memtest86+ burned by nero but it wont boot from it.
Why now after months of using the same settings without this reboot crap would it start now?
January 22, 2009 3:56:26 PM

If I had to guess, I'd say a stick of RAM has died. That's why I'm stressing memtest86+. Did you set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device in the BIOS before trying to boot from the memtest86+ disk? Did you burn the disk as bootable?
January 22, 2009 4:10:10 PM

Ive had a similar issue that was resolved when I replaced the sata cable to my hard drive. Oddly the cable would only work intermittently. If it is a memory issue you could try removing all but one stick of memory and check them one at a time.
January 22, 2009 6:15:37 PM

I tried another SATA cable.
January 23, 2009 12:25:33 PM

The cable was not bad but the placement was in SATA#2 so I moved it to SATA#1 and now it's fine.
YAY... :bounce: 
!