System Freezing - 4GB Corsair XMS3 DHX DDR3 1600

Divine Chaos

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I recently built a new gaming PC, but it freezes when I play games and I have to do a hard reset. Oddly, it's not all games. Final Fantasy XI works fine, but Crysis, Far Cry 2, Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia and Call of Duty: World at War all freeze. With Crysis I'm able to control + alt + delete out of it, but with everything else I have to reset. Twice when I've woken up in the morning, it's been frozen at my desktop.

These are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz

Heatsink/Fan: Xigmatek HDT-S963

MB: Asus Striker II Extreme

GPU: XFX GTX 260 Black Edition

RAM: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DHX DDR 1600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145200

Sound Card: Supreme FX II (came with the motherboard)

Power Supply: Silverstone ST60F 600w

System Drive: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black

I've run every diagnostic test I can find/think of, and Memtest86 is the only one that's produced any results. I've run multiple tests with multiple configurations. I've run it with both sticks in the blue, one at a time in the blue, both in the white, one at a time in the white and only one test has shown any errors. That was the first time I did it with both in the blue slots. I've redone that test twice more to try and reproduce the results, but nothing has shown.

I've run multiple tests on my GPU, and even tried under clocking it, and that didn't help the problem. Everything is well cooled, so it's not overheating. This is really the only lead I have to go on.

Here's a picture I took of my memtest86 results, I apologize for the bad quality, it was taken with a cheap digital camera.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DivineChaos/MemtestResults.jpg

I'm not familiar with memtest86, so I don't know what the results mean. Is the ram what's causing my freezing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm all out of ideas.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
That is a memory error, how long did you run memtest when you were trying to reproduce the error?
What are the current settings for your RAM?

Divine Chaos

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

About 9-12 hours.

The memory is set to stock settings. PC3 12800, 9-9-9-24 1.80v.

merve999

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I have this exact problem. I have a similar spec to yours:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz

MB: nVidia 790i Ultra

Heatsink/Fan: Thermaltake IFX-14

GPU: 2 x nVidia GTX 260 (in SLI)

Powersupply: 800W (Can't remember brand and I can't see it when I open the case).

Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

My ram timings are at stock like yours:

9-9-9-24

It just freezes all the time. I have not changed the bios or attempted to overclock. Please help!

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
merve999 you really should start a new thread with this but are you saying your running memtest and the system freezes or the program? Nvidia chipsets are notorious for running hot and if the NB is overheating it could be causing the instability. Either that or you have a bad stick of RAM. Run memtest with each stick individually and see if there's a difference between them (ie. some are stable, some cause the system to crash).

redguard117

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Wow i've been searching for a year for my rig's problem, started many threads but no answers. My specs are almost exactly the same as you guys -

Intel C2Q Q9550 at stock 2.83

Corsair DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24

EVGA 790i Ultra

Coolmax 950 Watt PSU

It freezes almost exclusively in Call of Duty World at War and Far Cry 2 (now it freezes in MW2). It also freezes whenever i leave it alone for a long time, and return and make a rapid movement with my mouse. I also get random BSODs with "CRITICAL ERROR" My Memory, CPU, and Mobo are the same. Is there a problem with this combo?

G

I have exactly same problems my specs:

Q9550 overclocked 4,08Ghz

1600 XMS3 DDR3 DHX memory

ASUS STRIKER II EXTREME

500 GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA

HD 4870 1GB OC

WATERCOOLING SYSTEM

750W CORSAIR TX

My problem is now gone, thank god!

i change my cpu and north bridge GTL REF voltages in right values, now its stable as rock :) u must try stable voltage settings. when default is stable u are able to overclock little by little increasing FSB & voltage settings.

HOW to calculate right GTL REF? here is very good guide: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202292

Latest posts