Sign in with
Your question

Odd HDD Failure

Last response: in Storage
July 24, 2010 3:35:24 PM

Hey all, I've recently experienced quite an odd hard drive failure. I would like to know if this has ever happened to you, and if so could you tell me what went wrong.

Over the last few weeks Ive started to hear random blips of noise in my music files during playback, then an increased amount of artifacts in video files. At first I thought I had a codec problem, but after installing, reinstalling, and tweaking, I noticed that the files on other drives played just fine.

So, I ran the checkdisk utility on the drive, which caused it to become inaccessible afterwards. Once I rebooted, only a few files were visible. I managed to grab the missing files using data recovery software, but all the music and video files contained artifacts during playback.

Its a less than a year old Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS, kept at about 31 degrees celcius, running windows 7. The drive is still read and writable, but files degrade over time.

More about : odd hdd failure

July 26, 2010 4:06:08 AM

Your hard drive is corrupting files, but that may also be a RAM problem. Run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic tools. Also run a RAM testing tool (such as MemTest).
m
l
!