Xbox 360 run through my PC?

slayeron444

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
So I recently put together my new system.... I was just wondering if it was possible to run my xbox 360 (if I purchase one) through my PC's video card and out through my 24' monitor? I have the HD4850 gpu and a very nice system to back it up with. Is it possible?

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
you could with a video capture card.
it may be simpler to hook it up direct to the monitor. I'm not real famililar with the xbox or its outputs.

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
no it's not possible to run it through your GPU.

you could connect it to your monitor, or like groo said, use a video input device. but the xbox would be doing all of the graphics work.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
just hook it up directly to your monitor

the xbox 360 comes with HDMI nowadays along with standard component/vga

if your monitor has an HDMI port, you can just hook up your 360 into that using hdmi cables

if your monitor only has a dvi and a VGA, you can buy the VGA cable for the xbox360 off of ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-XBOX-360-VGA-CABLE-WITH-OPTICAL-OUT-HD_W0QQitemZ280304603617QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Accessories?hash=item280304603617&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

the only issue you will have is sound, you can probably hook the sound up directly to your speakers or you can plug them into your sound card's line in

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
oh for the audio you would also need an RCA stereo to mini-jack adapter

so one end would have two female RCA jacks and the other end has a headphone plug, one end plugs into audio outputs form xbox360, other end plugs into your line in on the sound card, of course your computer would have to be on then when you are playing your 360 for you to hear any sound

now if you have a better set of speakers that have more than one input, you can hookup the 360 audio right into the speakers instead and cut out the computer completely

you may even want to look into getting a cheaper receiver for your computer with a set of decent speakers, then you can hook up all of the sound outputs directly to the receiver

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007

no

in fact, before the xbox360 elite, the 360 had no hdmi output and could not even output 1920x1080p

microsoft then added the ability for the 360 to output at 1080p but it was only possible over the VGA cable which one had to buy separately

now they all have hdmi out of the box and you can do 1080p over it no problem but you can still use the VGA cable if you do not have a screen with HDMI

the only thing you most likely will not be able to do is play HD-DVD movies since they require HDCP and VGA does not have HDCP

but i doubt you will be buying the HD-DVD addon for 360 hehe

G

"actually one more quick one........ Will I be able to use a KVM switch with my computer and 360 sharing my monitor?> "

Yes

Check your monitor though - I have a dell 24" that will accept both VGA & DVI connectors and switch betweeen the two using the front panel controls. If your monitor does this you don't even need the KVM.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
kvm is really for sharing the keyboard AND video AND mouse

360 is missing two of these, i wouldnt even bother since the monitor has its own input switch and you can just hit the switch when you want to play the 360

kvm switch isnt really required in this situation since you are not sharing inputs

Yeah, I'd just hook it up to the monitor directly myself. Anyway if you buy a video capture card, like the ATI wonders, you can capture the video stream from your 360. It's nifty if you want to record videos of yourself playing for whatever reason, like doing machinima or just bragging.

jaehdawg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Don't try to run the xbox through a TV tuner/Capture card, there is a massive delay (1-2sec). Connect it direct to the monitor like others have suggested

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Honestly I was MS would release some emulator software for the 360 that would run on a decent gaming PC. The hardware we have today is far faster than whats in the 360, and would have no issues performance wise running.

I would gladly buy some emulator software for $50 if it meant I could sit down in front of my PC and play instead of screwing around with cables and whatnot.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006

As much as Id like that as well, I dont think we will ever see a blue ray drive in a 360. MS was backing HD DVD and it failed unfortunately even though its was a equal quality better cheaper standard.

Zenthar

Distinguished
I'd much prefer a built-in wireless NIC or at least an external one with a price that can compete with the fact that for ~65$CAD one can create a 4 ports Wireless bridge with a WRT54GL and WRT-DD ...

you could do a KVM but it would be easier to just use the monitor to switch inputs. Most monitors have DVI an VGA. Run the PC through DVI and the x360 through VGA. As other suggested you'll need a RCA to 1.8mini adapter. You can then either split the audio input going to your speakers. or run the sound through the input on your sound card. Of course if your speakers have an aux in then use that.

Off topic if you're looking to upgrade your speakers I highly suggest the logitech z5500. they have optical input for video game systems and are surround sound.

EagleSix

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Well can you actually play it on your monitor through your pc video card ? I mean i know that your VGA card won't do the graphic and rendering stuff, that's all Xbox's job but i mean it should be possible right, 'cause your card in this case is just a "medium" to pass it to your monitor or not ? Sorry it's a bit confusing but hope you will understand :)

lewza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

If you get the new Xbox360S it does have a built in wireless NIC

Rossrjensen

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

Here's my conspiracy theory - Microsoft back HD DVD knowing it would lose the battle eventually. What they really wanted was to slow the progress of Sony's Blu-Ray and make way for what they are truly championing - digital distribution.