direwolf1972

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Currently short of cash but wanting to do some upgrades.

All of my processors are AMD Socket A.

I'm wanting to add a larger hard drive.

The best bang for the buck currently seem to all be SATA HD's.

My mobo only supports SATA version 1 (not SATA/300).

I have yet to find a PCI (my mobo doesnt have PCI-E slots) card that will support SATA/300.

Does anyone know if any mobo manufacturers have made a socket 462 board that has onboard SATA/300?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul

So, you have a VIA chipset? Some controllers are backwards compatible. Buy a SATA HD with a jumper setting for 1.5 transfer rate. SATA drives work fine on my 462 NFII MBs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Given the importance of backward compatibility between SATA 1.5 Gbit/s controllers and SATA 3 Gbit/s devices, SATA 3 Gbit/s autonegotiation sequence is designed to fall back to SATA 1.5 Gbit/s speed when in communication with such devices. In practice, some older SATA controllers do not properly implement SATA speed negotiation. Affected systems require the user to set the SATA 3 Gbit/s peripherals to 1.5 Gbit/s mode, generally through the use of a jumper, however some drives lack this jumper. Chipsets known to have this fault include the VIA VT8237 and VT8237R southbridges, and the VIA VT6420, VT6421A and VT6421L standalone SATA controllers.[9] SiS's 760 and 964 chipsets also initially exhibited this problem, though it can be rectified with an updated SATA controller ROM

direwolf1972

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I have two motherboards with SATA connectors but they are both SATA 1.5.

I bought a Seagate 750gb SATA HD when they first came out a few years ago.

Nothing I seemed to do at the time would get the Asus A7V8X motherboard to recognize it.

I also have a MSI Ultra II-C motherboard with a VIA KT333 chipset. No idea why but I didnt try the Seagate on the MSI (was told by Seagate that I couldnt get it to work with SATA 1.5). I never trust tech support to tell me anything other than the official answers they have in front of them, so I should have tried it but was bummed over blowing so much cash on a big HD and being told it wouldnt work so gave up.

I'm now wondering if I could get the MSI with the VIA chipset to work with it.

I sold the Seagate SATA HD on eBay and no longer have it. I havent tried tinkering with any other SATA HD's since.

G

unfortunately I read this message AFTER have bought 750gb sata samsung hdd for my mb A7V880 on VT8237 sothbridge
I have "successful" patched the hdd by the soft from www.samsunghdd.com to sata-1 on friend's PC but...
There is no positive result...
now i'm looking for sock A mobo with "good" sata controller
What can advise?

TRENDING THREADS