Replacing my old 6100

maraca2020

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
awesome thanks. I also want to know whether I should just throw out this system and build a new comp. Does this have anything salvageable, or is buying a new gpu/cpu a waste with an outdated mobo? Thanks.

meodowla

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I think 4850 and 9800GTX+ are similar in performance...
Also.. Upgrading to Athlon64 X2 6000+ is a good choice.. if you wanna go little more higher, then there is Athlon64 X2 6400+ Black Edition.

But i recommend you upgrade your motherboard to something with AMD 790GX chipset.
Also, now AMD QuadCore(Phenom) prices are droped due to release of Phenom2 processors. So you could get some Quad-core.....and if you are not interested with Quad and stick with dual-core.. then also it'll be better to change motherboard.

And, ATi HD4870 would perform best in that configuration.

meodowla

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
GTA4 plays well on Quad Cores... It works well utilising Core power..
It'll work in Dual Cores... but performs well in Quads...

I'm not sure your older board supports 125W (and higher) CPUs, so you may need to replace it anyway. Note this isn't a BIOS issue, but the power circuits on the mobo may not be able to handle that load so they'll burn up. It sounds like you may just wish to build a new PC, which will save the old one as a backup or media server or something.
If you get a new mobo, I'd definitely agree on the 790GX.

Watts is important, but so is amps. Make sure you have enough total amps on your 12v volt rails.

Watt wise perhaps a quality 800 watt or higher PSU for the 4870x2 (which is two GPUs in one). I'm not sure what the amps requirement for a 4870x2 is, but make sure it's sufficient, since it is just as important if not more so than watts.

I don't think you'll need more than 650W for a single card.
In fact, if you check here: http://ati.amd.com/products/certified/powersupplies.html#pstop, you'll see there's actually at least one 500W PSU that is certified for the 4870X2, namely the Enermax Liberty Eco ELT500AWT-ECO (but not the original Liberty 500W PSU).

It is a single card, but it has two GPU cores. Benchmarks show that the 4870x2 basically uses the same amount of power as two 4870s in crossfire.

And the site doesn't give any info at all on the number of PCI-e connectors or the amps. Enermax isn't exactly a well known brand either. I say just go with Newegg and get a quality PSU just to be safe.