Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Computer specs:
AsRock K8NF4G-SATA2 motherboard
Sempron 3000+ processor
2GB RAM
160GB Hard Drive
650W Power Supply

I was using my computer just fine last night when I shut down at about 11:30pm and this morning when I tried to turn it on there was nothing...the monitor asks if the video cable is plugged in and my keyboard and optical mouse will not light up and the "thinking" flasing light does not flash. Everything is the same as it was last night and there are no problems with the monitor. What could've possibly happened...any help is apreciated!

reborne_33

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Sounds like a mains spike took out the Power Supply. The first thing I'd do would be to swap in a spare Power Supply you might have laying around and see if that sorts it out.

Technoart

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Agree with reborne_33, also try this

1. Try to disconnect all cables in your mobo and then reconnect.

2. Clear CMOS on your mobo about 30 seconds ~ 1 minute.

3. Check carefully with the cables so that you will know the cables are conducting
electricity (current flow) or not with the hardware and mobo .

4. If possible use a spare PSU to check the mobo and hardware to ensure that you know the hardware and mobo are working fine.

Repeat these steps if the mobo and hardware still would't starts the PC. Maybe there are some short circuit or damaged cables inside the PC.

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I'd suggest buying a surge protector powerboard, or, if you have the money, a UPS. We lost a computer to a power surge (it caught on fire, though) and we use pretty much everything on surge protector powerboard things now. Haven't had any problems since.