PNY Memory Any Good?

r_manic

Administrator
Hey guys, someone's giving me a set of two 2GB PNY Memory sticks (DDR2 667Mhz, PC2 5300)

I'm currently using a 2GB G.Skill stick. From a performance standpoint, will replacing the solo stick with the PNY set cause any badness with my setup (my specs are listed in my sig)? My primary desktop is oriented towards gaming; should I just hold on to the PNYs for a less demanding setup?

2 x 2GB in dual channel mode would double the system memory bandwidth available to the processor. So yeah, doubling the amount of system RAM and enabling dual channel mode would elievate any potential memory/CPU bottlenecking on your word processing software for sure. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

Dual-channel technology was created to address the issue of bottlenecks. Increased processor speed and performance requires other, less prominent components to keep pace. In the case of dual channel design, the intended target is the memory controller, which regulates data flow between the CPU and system memory (RAM). The memory controller determines the types and speeds of RAM as well as the maximum size of each individual memory module and the overall memory capacity of the system. However, when the memory is unable to keep up with the processor, a bottleneck occurs, leaving the CPU with nothing to process. Under the single-channel architecture, any CPU with a bus speed greater than the memory speed would be susceptible to this bottleneck effect.

The dual-channel configuration alleviates the problem by doubling the amount of available memory bandwidth. Instead of a single memory channel, a second parallel channel is added. With two channels working simultaneously, the bottleneck is reduced. Rather than wait for memory technology to improve, dual-channel architecture simply takes the existing RAM technology and improves the method in which it is handled. While the actual implementation differs between Intel and AMD motherboards, the basic theory stands

r_manic

Administrator
Thanks guys! I'll probably try that flex mode you were talking about Shadow (from all appearances my mobo seems to support it). Was just wondering if PNY, a relatively unknown brand, had any issues compared to G.Skill. Sorry if my question came off as a bit noobish! :p

Wish I could answer your question. Never used PNY memory. PNY would be a Retail name using chips from major chipmakers like Micron, Samsung, Elpedia, Whammo! If you do the research, I would stay away from any chips produced by Whammo!.