Sign in with
Your question

SERIOUSLY NEED HELP WITH BSOD

Last response: in CPUs
April 19, 2009 10:36:01 PM

Ok this is seriously urgent, for the past few months i get about 25 blue screens a day, seriously...

Some of the blue screens include the errors...

IRQL not less or equal
page fault in non paged area
DXGkrnl
bad pool caller

The most common one i get is the paged fault one, i also get one which has no error what so ever.

These blue screens happen extremely randomly, sometimes 5 mins after i boot up, sometimes when im playing games, sometimes when its left on doing nothing. There is no pattern what so ever.

My computer had no viruses, its not over heating, not overclocked, i have scanned it with loads of registry cleaners ect. NOTHING.

All my drivers are updated.

I think of myself as quite computer literate but because there is no pattern what so ever i cant figure this out.

6000+
8800gt SLI
4gb ram 800mhz
m2n32-sli

HELP PLEASE

More about : bsod

a c 127 à CPUs
April 19, 2009 10:40:56 PM

Have ya run any memory testerslike Memtest86+? Could have bad memory thats causingcorruption.

that or you may want to try a OS reinstall...
April 19, 2009 11:02:46 PM

Yeah... I'd also go for a RAM test on this beast... Just out of interest, I'd also be interested in what wattage PSU you've got in it... Those 8800GTs use quite a bit of juice. You might just be suffering drops in the supply voltage or the effects of noise on the mains supply. Particularly if you're pushing the capabilities of your PSU.
Related resources
April 19, 2009 11:05:01 PM

Well ive got an 880w hiper power supply so i think that should be enough, i tihnk i will run memtest86 tommorrow.
April 20, 2009 1:57:13 AM

Hiper aren't known for their reliability... not lately anyway... in the past they were acceptable.

Go with ram tests, if they come out positive try stressing your CPU with Prime95 to see if that trigers a bluescreen. Could also be your video card getting old... I've seen the IRQL and page fault BSODs before from overly ambitious overclocks, so I'm guessing your RAM's the issue.
April 20, 2009 7:37:04 AM

Ok its definetly not the CPU that can run for ages whether its overclocked or not.

I've got a new one this morning, fltmgr.exe bsod.

And im also having trouble actually getting into my computer to burn memtest86. But im thinking that will probably be the problem, the ram.
April 20, 2009 9:30:45 AM

If memtest does not come back as having failed. Re-install your OS (do a clean wipe of the disks), I have seen some issues with the windows install becoming corrupt and these BSOD's popping up:
page fault in non paged area
DXGkrnl
bad pool caller
a b à CPUs
April 20, 2009 11:46:00 AM

That error normally implies a ram issue. However, its possible your hard drive is causing the page faults.

If you have more than one stick of ram in there, try running each on there own to isolate a bad stick of ram.
April 20, 2009 12:46:35 PM

Could also be down to a timing issue... I had this a couple of years ago on a Barton 2500+. Existing memory was good (2x256MB). So was the new stuff (1x512MB). I knew this as I'd tested the 512MB stick on another board at the local computer club where I'd brought it second hand. The problems started when I added the 512MB stick to what was already there, so I knew the existing RAM was good. But when both were running together, I was consistantly getting errors when running MemTest x86+. So I repeated both tests, first with the existing 2x256MB and it passed, then with the 1x512MB on it's own, and it passed.

All sticks were rated at the same speed, but the 512MB device was a different manufacturer. Turned out to be timing causing the problem here.

That's not the strangest issue with RAM that I've experienced though... I'd built this home-brew server for the back room from a 1.3GHz P3 mainboard and a couple of HDDs, one 13GB for the Linux OS, software & swap etc and a 60GB for the /home partition which contained the website and other stuff for sharing on the local LAN only. I had it running Debian for a while with 256MB of RAM and was planning to upgrade it to 512MB. I was in the process of mix 'n matching RAM for this machine, again from known good stocks at the local computer club and was getting some weird and wonderful reports from the BIOS. Like 256MB + 64MB = 128MB.

A BIOS flash fixed this board... What I found really interesting though was taking the backup dump of the existing BIOS that the flash program saved and the file that it programmed into the chip and putting them through a CRC comparison program produced an exact match, so why re-flashing the board fixed it is still a mystery.
a b à CPUs
April 20, 2009 3:36:36 PM

Memtest86 is OS independent; ignore the whole reinstall OS bit until you get memtest to run.
!