I made a booboo =(

opexx

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
I screwed up hardcore guys... Not sure how, I followed a step by step guide from my friend who's overclocked my machines in the past. Anyways, getting the the story.

So I have a p.o.s machine I was gonna use for a small home server. Single core pentium4, (3.0ghz) 4 gigs ddr ram, 128 gig 7,200 rpm hd. With windows server 2003 (OEM) of course. Anyways, it USED to have xp premium till I was going to update to this, but before I updated I wanted to overclock the processor to 3.3 for shits and giggles. So I talked to my friend who has overclocked every pc I've had for the last many years. But when I start now, the fans go insane and nothing comes up on the screen. It's just blank, the fans are going a mile a minute, and I'm really confused. So I start to push the power button in to turn it off, and literally, as soon as I push it in, the pc turns off. So I think (that was really weird...) so I turn it on again, same thing, fans are going crazy etc etc. So I go to push the power button again, and it literally turns right off as soon as I hit the power button. So I put 2 and 2 together, and realize I must have screwed up somewhere during my expedition in BIOS.

Point being, can anybody tell me how to reset my BIOS and all that back to default? I've tried hitting f10 and del to get back, but nothing happens. Is there any physical wipe or maybe you all know another keymap or w.e they're called I can use?

P.s - I'm really good with computers, but overclocking isn't my thing. So you can talk like you would in any other post, I'll understand (more likely then not anyways, haha.)

Thanks for any feedback guys, I'd really appreciate the help.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
You can read your mobo manual, read where the jumpers are and look for "Clear CMOS". Or you can take the coin cell battery out of your mobo, sing the happy birthday song, then put it back in. That should clear your BIOS settings.

So, unplug the computer from the wall, unplug peripherals that connect to the outside of the case, open up the PC, take out the shiny battery, sing happy birthday to yourself, and put it back in. :)

opexx

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

I think I can do that! haha, I'll try that and let you know how it goes. Thanks

(p.s - nice call on the happy birthday, mines in 3 days xD )

opexx

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Before I do anything I'll regret, I'm assuming you're talking about the thingy bordered in red?

Oh and to anybody who was thinking about it, no I was not dumb enough to start it without ram, I took it out a second ago for some reason I've now forgotten. But no, I did not start it without ram lol

33ts64z.jpg

opexx

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Well the good news is that doing what you said is that it works now.

But the extremely bad news is that somehow my OS got wiped...

"BOOTMGR is missing press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart."

Awesome.. lol

opexx

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
This isnt related to overclocking but maybe you can help. I'm trying to go from vista, to windows server 2003 (as planned) but when I do the autorun for windows server 2003, the install option is shaded out and I cant click it. Any ideas?