Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Window 7 Detection of HDD

Last response: in Storage
July 25, 2010 3:02:06 PM

I just finished building a system with window 7 pro 64-bit OS with SSD, HDD and 2 DVD drives and an USB card reader.

I would like to partition the HDD, but it's not visible from "MY Computer"; and I could not see card reader either.

However, I can see everything in "Device Manager" as well as during setup process.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

More about : window detection hdd

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
July 25, 2010 5:02:15 PM

You need to use "Disk Management" to partition and format a drive:

Start -> right-click "Computer" -> Manage
Click the ""Disk Management" link in the left pane
Locate the drive in the LOWER right pane and right-click it for options.
July 25, 2010 6:49:58 PM

sminlal said:
You need to use "Disk Management" to partition and format a drive:

Start -> right-click "Computer" -> Manage
Click the ""Disk Management" link in the left pane
Locate the drive in the LOWER right pane and right-click it for options.

Thanks Sminlal. I think the reason is I did not initialize it, so disk manager could not access.
Since I will use this HD for data only and the size is 1TB, should I select GPT or MBR for partition style?
m
l
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
July 25, 2010 7:36:27 PM

For a data disk it shouldn't matter whether it's GPT or MBR - but since MBR handles up to 2TB and is generally compatible with more disk utility software then I'd probably go that route.
m
l
July 26, 2010 4:08:53 PM

sminlal said:
For a data disk it shouldn't matter whether it's GPT or MBR - but since MBR handles up to 2TB and is generally compatible with more disk utility software then I'd probably go that route.

Thanks for your help, now "my computer" is shown as:

New Volume (A) 258GB; New Volume (B) 672GB; Local Disk (C) 59 GB free of 74 GB; DVDR (D); DVDR (E)

USB device such as card reader is still not visible, but it works. Partitioned HD are named as New Volumes instead of Disk A & B; Are these situations normal for window 7?
m
l
July 26, 2010 8:46:16 PM

Sminlal....thank you. I was having this problem where my traditional HDD wasn't showing over my SSD. This method worked and helped me show my HDD. I guess I needed to partition it. Quick question: Does it matter of my traditional HDD is set to Master while my SSD is slave? I have windows 7 installed on SSD.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
July 26, 2010 10:38:15 PM

Dragon Chaser said:
USB device such as card reader is still not visible, but it works. Partitioned HD are named as New Volumes instead of Disk A & B; Are these situations normal for window 7?[/#003bff]
The USB card reader probably won't show up until you actually insert a memory card into it.

"New Volume" is probably the default volume name. You can change the volume name by using:

- Start -> Computer

- Right-click on a drive and select "Properties"

- Make sure the "General" tab is selected

- Type a new volume name at the top of the dialogue box.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
July 26, 2010 10:39:42 PM

ankido said:
Quick question: Does it matter of my traditional HDD is set to Master while my SSD is slave? I have windows 7 installed on SSD.
Unless your BIOS has a restriction on booting from a slave drive, then it shouldn't matter.

Note that only IDE/ATA/PATA drives have "master" vs. "slave" settings - with SATA drives there is no such concept since only one drive can be plugged into a single SATA port.
m
l
July 27, 2010 12:18:53 AM

Thank you sminlal, everything seems to be perfect.
m
l
July 27, 2010 3:57:02 AM

Thanks Sminlal, you are the real Win7 PRO !

ankido, I also used SDD for OS and program files for faster boot, shut down and program launch. But since my new build is mainly for video editing and rendering, I partitioned the HDD (1TB) outer tracks (~ 256GB) for working space and rest for data storage
m
l
August 3, 2010 3:55:25 PM

Best answer selected by Dragon Chaser.
m
l
!