Any ideas?

AceG8tr

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I have a very weird problem. My son has a system I built for him 6 months ago. Intel Core Duo processor, Gigabyte MB, 4G RAM, WinXP. A couple of days ago he started seeing graphics artifacts while playing a game. It got worse, and now I have tried replacing or swapping (in order) the:

graphics card
LCD monitor
memory
motherboard
CPU

No luck. You see all sorts of graphics problems immediately upon bootup, even entering BIOS setup, so I don't think it's a Windows driver problem. Any ideas? Could it be the power supply?

Cache

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Could it be the power supply? Yeah, but with such a specific problem I tend to doubt it. Can you verify the wiring is intact from the PC to the monitor? I only ask because I had a cat that liked to chew on mine (a little dab of hot sauce on the wire cured that little problem). Also check the power cord for the monitor. You say that you've checked virtually everything else, so the only remaining culprits come down to the monitor itself, or how it connects to the system. Good luck.

AceG8tr

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

No, I previously tried a completely different monitor and power cable. Same thing. A later commenter says it could be the power supply--I'll try that next.

Thanks!

AceG8tr

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Just replaced the power supply--no luck. I'm completely baffled. Have replaced or swapped virtually every component in the system. Even took out the soundcard and unplugged the back panel USB connectors. Still a screen full of graphics garbage the minute it boots up.

TRENDING THREADS