Is this a network problem????

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
I have a gateway laptop at home and basically i am using it as my main computer connected to the modem (i use comcast) the problem is that anytime i try to play WoW and the WoW tracker comes up to download the latest pathes i lose connection to the internet after a few minutes, i experience the same issue when downloading torrents using bit torrent or even frostwire (for some reason bearshare seems to work fine but then again tey don't use the bit torrent protocol),i also experience the same pronlem when uploading files on youtube i can upload very short videos but not long ones, the connection will fail right in the middle of the upload,those are the only times i have issues,i can connect online and do pretty much everything else but anything that involves uploading big files on youtube or torrent protocol (like the World of Warcraft tracker and bit torrent) messes up my connection,i don't know what to do,is it just a modem issue? should i change it?

PS i am going to get another laptop soon as well and me and my wife wil both be playing WoW what is the best way to go about this wthout having this connection issues.

Zakkas

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Hello,

Is the device from comcast simply a standard modem or is it a modem/router? What make/model is the device. What is your current bandwith (internet speeds download/upload rates).

Bit Torrent is a very rough application on home based network devices due to the nature of the P2P file sharing. The larger the file the more strain you are going to place on your network router.

I haven't heard much about the WoW downloader causing issues before. That my be a port issue with the application itself. Something may be blocking access via a firewall on your machine or router.

What do you do to reconnect your connection to the Internet? Do you have to restart the modem/router?

For troubleshooting, before you do anything else when you lose connection to the internet. Open a Command prompt window and issue a netstat -b and see if you can find the .exe associated with the WoW downloader ( I think it is wow.exe). Verify if it shows established after you've lost connectivity.