Optimum Graphics card for upgrade?

solus

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Hi ALL!
My first POST so I hope i get this right.
I am looking at updating my GFX card but would like to know which would be the best overall to go for without chopping and changing other things.
I would be using the PC for occassional gaming and DVD Playback but more for video editing.
My PC currently has the following
P4 1.7Ghz,
1.5GB RDRAM,
FSP PSU MAX OUTPUT 300W (in brackets says +3.3V & +5V +12V = 280W MAX)
1X DVD + 1X DVDRW
2X HDD

AGP PORT Specs = AGP 4X 1.5V AGP2.0

I have been as comprehensive as possible re: specs as i don't really want to change anything (except maybe the PSU BUT ONLY IF absolutely necessary)

I AM NOT A Hardcore gamer. and i really am not fussed about whether the GFX card i get is new or second hand, but more importantly i do not want to go overboard with a GFX card the a 4X AGP slot may not take full advantage of.

PS I would imagine most cards are way better than the card my PC was originally shipped with.

Well nowadays its tough to find an AGP card...But stil u will be able to but not the AGP 4X...well u have to search a lot though...and te agp cards available now are mostly 8X and might not be compatible wit ur slot...

solus

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009

I appreciate your reply, from my understanding of AGP majority of the 8X are 4X backward compatible i.e. will perform to 4x specs in a 4X slot
I guess I should rephrase my question to what the best card would be WITHOUT having to change PSU.

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
a 7600 series card from nvidia requires at least 350w, so you might have some problems getting a lower power card. replacing the psu will be best (even a cheap 400w will do)

This is a difficult one. Your PSU is pretty underpowered for adding the more modern AGP cards that are available. Not to mention your CPU will put a good limit on the video card itself. That doesn't really matter to much considering your system isn't going to handle modern games anyhow.

Depending on what kind of video editing you're doing, you'd probably benefit a lot from a new system all together.

1.5GB of RDRAM? Wow... I'd forgotten all about the Rambus move...

mbbs20

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
well an 8x video card should work with an 4x agp slot BUT it is not always true and its rarely a hit and miss kind of thing, u can never be hunded percent sure if that setup would work, since it not only depends on the card itself, rather also on your motherboard chipset...i had a lot of problems with an 8x card running in an 8x 1.5volt only slot since a native 8x is 0.8v...anyways here is the absolutle best video card for agp and i doubt we'll see anything faster http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%201069609639%20106792462%201067933728&bop=And&Order=PRICE

scroll down and u can get the "open box" 3850 for 82 bucks...the only problem is this card requires atleast a 450 watt psu...otherwise your second option is the 2600xt but it retails for around the same price and is much slower so there is no point in recommending that

PS...your cpu at 1.7 is a serious bottleneck to either of these cards

if u live in newyork check out these deals as well
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/1028637980.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/sys/1029355957.html

solus

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Thanks all for your replies.

Don't get me wrong I do have two New C2D laptops, a SONY Vaio with BluRay and 256mb gfx card and a Toshiba with a 256mb gfx card also.

I just prefer using my "old" system as I really do not give a **** if it gets a virus, or needs the OS re-installing, ALL my data is fully backed up and the system is as reliable as the foundations of the statue of liberty, just thought i may be able to squeeze a little more out of it by updating the gfx card, i have hardly spent much in terms of upgrades since i bought it.
Anyways this has been a learning curve for me because the last time i had to upgrade a gfx card (when Matrox Mystique 220 was the bees knees), things like PSU wattages and Amps were never something to consider.
My next rig is gonna be a self build power house and you can bet i'll be posting here for all your inputs.

Once again thanks peeps!

PS I have found some used gfx cards that should do me good, without a new PSU.