Sign in with
Your question

X-fi titanium fatality or Xonar D2X?

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 20, 2009 11:23:50 AM

Hi, i am thinking of buying either the x-fi titanium fatality pro or the Xonar D2X sound card.

Which would you recommend?

I will use it mostly for gaming, but also for movies, and to a lesser extent music.

Also, what are the differences between the x-fi titanium and the x-fi titanium fatality pro?

Cheers

More about : titanium fatality xonar d2x

April 20, 2009 12:37:41 PM

The D2(X) gets the edge for general purpose, due to its extra dolby encoding options. I find the D2(X) to be a supierior card for gaming myself, although the Creative guys here will hotly contest that point...

If you have a free PCI slot, just stick with the D2; the D2X is the same chip, but with a really annoying PCI-E bridge chip, which does nothing but make the card fit/work with a PCI-E slot.
April 20, 2009 3:51:16 PM

I recentely switched from an X-Fi card (Auzen Prelude) to a Xonar due to a bug with the X-Fi drivers causing a memory leak in (analogue) 3D mode. (the Digital/Optical outs were fine - which makes sense since once you go there, your stereo's receiver is doing the processing...) Anyways, I can compare a superior X-Fi card to the Xonar as I have recent experience with both on the same system/speakers...

Creative wins for gaming special effects on the setups that most people use. (read: $20~50 box speakers) If you're running this kind of a setup, stop here and buy the X-Fi.

*BUT* if you run your computer into a good stereo, understand that the merest hint of using their "crystalizer" intoduces stupidly high amounts of treble, which on my (Polk Audio & NAD) system was more irritating to me than nails on a chalkboard. Pretty sure it even chased the dog out of the house... This is saying a lot, since I spent a lot of years with headphones from a Walkman and have lost some of my high frequency hearing from playing too loud for too long. Thankfully, you can remove their app and run driver~only, which solves the problem nicely.

I also felt that (Auzen's, not Creative's) amplifier on the card was nicer for driving headphones. At least my Sennheiser's liked the card. :) 

The Xonar sounds better from an audio enthusiast's perspective: Clear without being annoying, and definitely more natural and pleasant sounding to the (my) ears. I also feel that the soundstaging is better as far as being able to place an stereo 'image' into a given spot. NOT the equal of source material in it's native format, but for MP3's and movies on the computer I feel it sounds better and more natural than the X-Fi. And being an Audio guy, for me the argument stops there.

Be advised: The "documentation" provided in the box... Well... it tells you which output is what channel, and I liked that they put different colored led's inside the outlets so I didn't have to go through too many gyrations to put the appropriate plug in the proper spot. Besides that, the only other positive thing I can say about the Xonar's instruction sheet is that it gives you a nice feeling when you throw it out.
Related resources
April 20, 2009 6:04:36 PM

gamerk316 said:
The D2(X) gets the edge for general purpose, due to its extra dolby encoding options. I find the D2(X) to be a supierior card for gaming myself, although the Creative guys here will hotly contest that point...

If you have a free PCI slot, just stick with the D2; the D2X is the same chip, but with a really annoying PCI-E bridge chip, which does nothing but make the card fit/work with a PCI-E slot.

Gamerk316,

For gaming, what about the Auzen Forte? I was thinking of the Titaniun or the Auzen Forte. WOuld you still recommend the D2?
April 20, 2009 8:48:14 PM

I've never had the chance to try out one of Auzen's cards; everything I've heard is that its better than the Titanium, but given they use almost the same hardware, I'd say the cards are about the same.

I will say that I trust Auzen, despite the fact I've never used them, a heck of a lot more then Creative.
April 20, 2009 8:59:59 PM

OK thanx. I read some reviews that it's not the best for games---the d2. I read the reviews in multiple places saying that the Forte is the best for games. My z5500's need a nice card :) 
!