4ghz i5 w/o turbo = slower GPU??

Hey there.

As you can see in my sig, I OCed my i5 with turbo at 175 base clock for 3.68ghz to 4.2ghz. I ran a whole suite of benchmarks with this overclock, which you can see here.

And here's a screen of a more recent Vantage run:
VantagePerformance-PPUOFF.png

After changing my i5 OC from the 175 base clock and turbo on to a straight 200x20, 4ghz OC my results changed. On one hand, the CPU score increased nicely to 18k. On the other hand, the overall score and GPU score both decreased. I lost about 3.5k on the GPU score. Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot uploaded at this time, I'll update the thread tonight if there's any interest.

I figured that might make sense if Vantage was only using a single core, but my Performance Monitor (the windows one) showed usage across all cores. However, it only added up to around 25% usage, which means it's entirely possible that it's a single threaded app, and windows is optimizing it across all cores. If this is the case, then it's reasonable to assume Vantage was running at 4.2ghz, and that a single core is bottlenecking my GPUs - even the difference of 4 to 4.2ghz showing a significant GPU increase.

I thought, ok, in that case I'll run some other benchmarks. I ran AVP first. I thought, being DX11, it would allow better CPU usage. However the result mirrored what happened before, and the average FPS was slightly lower than my previous result. I then changed the OC on my cards from their stock volt OC of 875 core to 960 core with a little more juice, and it scored nearly the same. So either the AVP bench is single threaded, or something fishy is going on.

Finally, I ran the RE5 benchmark. If you looked at the thread I linked above with all the benchmarks I previously ran, you'll see that I scored 127 FPS in RE5. This time, I scored 145 FPS. So here there must be significantly better CPU usage, and the extra 300mhz on all 4 core usage really showed a performance boost.

After that, I played a little bit of Crysis Warhead, Metro 2033, and then several hours of Cryostasis, and I can't really say that I noticed any change in performance. Might have been a little smoother but at this point that might just be wishful thinking.

So, what do you guys think? Is a turbo boosted OC the way to go for gaming? Or, are the benchmarks just poorly done and in reality games will (or should) see better performance with the 4ghz OC?

If there's any tests you'd like to see let me know.

carnedude

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
You might be on to something here. I had the same problem. I overclocked my cpu to 4ghz and my FFXIV benchmark score dropped 2000 points. I reset the bios to stock re-OC'ed to 4ghz and this time my scores improved. I am new to Ocing so I think I might have enabled/disabled a feature in the bios that caused this.