Is this an ok OC?

fuzzybell

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hey guys Im just wondering if this is an alright OC, this is my first one so i thought i would put it up here to see what you guys think.

i7 930 @ 3.85GHz
Asus Rampage extreme 3
8gb Dominator GT 1600C7
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
Windows 7

BCLK - 175
CPU Volt - 1.2
QPI/Dram Core Volt - 1.3
Dram Bus Volt - 1.5105

Max Idle Temp - 41,40,41,39
Max Core Temp using prime95 after 1.5 hours - 69,68,68,66

If you have any suggestions I would be great to hear them.

Thanks

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Good temps, good voltages, your in good shape :)

@wolf, the QPI is the VTT, if all the MB manufacturers used the same terminology in the Bios then it wouldn't be any fun trying to figure it out. :D

Ah I see, I see!

Well, in that case it does seem a little high but I guess if it's in spec, whatever. Still, I have a feeling that the QPI/IMC/VTT should generally be lower than the Vcore. This I think is mainly because the previous/original max specs had the vcore at 1.55 and vtt at 1.21 for my i5 - I think the i7 was a little more reasonable at 1.3 vtt. I don't know if they revised that, but for the i5 it's now 1.4/1.4. To me this means that they should be pretty close, and like I said, I tend to run the vcore higher than the vtt but I guess it might not matter.

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

I am a bit curious as to why you are using 8gigs (2g x 4??) of memory. The performance boost from 6 to 8 is hardly noticeable and by using 8 you are not going to be able to run tri-channel memory config.

why do people keep complaining about this, it will use dual channel just fine, and there really isn't much benefit from dual to triple (unless you have extremely memory sensitive apps)

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

As far as I know, an X58 board doesn't even support dual channel memory, only single and triple. And there may not even be visible performance increase going from single channel to tri channel, but there is also no visible performance increase going from 6 to 8gigs of RAM, unless you are using memory intensive programs or benchmarking. 6gig of memory is also cheaper than 8gigs.

And, we're not complaining about this, we are just giving our 2 cents worth. I'm just saying that I'd rather buy 6gig of memory and use in tri-channel config than buy 8gig (which also costs more) memory to run in single channel mode.

it actually supports dual channel just fine with 2 (or 4) sticks, you just can't have 3 in one set of channels and in in another (needs to be 2 and 2)

i agree with the amount of memory not needed unless he has applications that need that much

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

Actually, Intel does not officially support dual-channel with more than two sticks of memory in its LGA1366 i7 processors. In fact, some X58 motherboards require that all three memory slots for triple channel be occupied before a second slot for one of the channels can be filled. For those mobos, with four sticks of RAM the only supported mode is the "Flex" mode of an "imbalanced" triple channel + single channel.

I also just read on a few sites now and found out that x58 boards do in fact support dual channel memory config. I also read that the through-put of triple channel is much quicker than dual channel. I suppose its debatable but I'd still go for 6gigs of memory and triple channel for price vs performance reasons.

fuzzybell

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
ahhh k, didnt know that about the memory, the reason why i had the 4 x 2 configuration is that i got a sweet deal that meant that i got the extra stick for like $30.

When i put the pc together the motherboard manual told me to put the sticks in Dimm a1, a2, b1, c1

So i gather your saying i should just remove the 4th stick from the a2 for better performance

prime95 for 10 hours 70, 68, 68, 66 so i gather its pretty stable

That's pretty much the exact same OC I've been using on my i5 750 then :D

175 base clock with turbo on. Except, my voltages were opposite, 1.31 Vcore and 1.21 VTT/IMC/QPI (or whatever the BIOS wants to call it).

I think my temps were pretty much identical too.

fuzzybell

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

oh sweet, so shouldnt have a problem with it.

is there any benefit for me to lower the QPI/DRAM (VTT/IMC) voltage or should i just not worry about it seeing that it seems pretty stable

Well, it's hard to say, exactly. I've found that by fooling around with Vcore I've got slightly more efficiency out of it. By that I mean I get a slightly higher rating in InteBurn Test/LinX. You probably used it, but basically it outputs your computing power in GFlops. I've gained up to about 1 GFlop by just tweaking the voltages. Too much or little Vcore seems to negatively affect it, so maybe you can try incrementally lowering Vcore and increasing QPI and see if it helps any.

Other than that I don't think it'll make much difference. You're within spec.